Thread: Osc spindle sander

Osc spindle sander

I'm looking for recommendations for a floor model oscillating spindle sander. I'd like a tilting table but really not a necessary feature. Good dust collection is a necessary feature. Floor model. Not bench top.

There seems to be a wide variety from grizzly, laguana, jet, baliegh, etc that all look fairly similar.

Thoughts?

I love my State B-4. Industrial grade, compared to the above mentioned.
    Jeff

I picked up a used Jet floor model with all the spindles for $500 on Craig List. I like it pretty well, and it does have a tilting table.

One thing I don't like is the dust collection. It has a port, but the other side is wide open. Looks easy to fix, just haven't gotten around to it. Oh, one other thing I do not like with all of them I have seen is the rack on the sides for the spindles. When I move mine around the shop (came with mobile base) the spindles try to fall over. Needs a simple frame around the middle of the spindles. Someday...

If I was buying new, I think I would go with the Griz when it's on sale. Looks the same as mine with better dust guard.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I just bought a State t5 on CraigsList. What a beast! I'm just starting to use it; it's overkill for my needs but boy is it nice. Rather than a tilting table the spindle tilts and the table stay flat and fixed. This is, I think, a much better setup, your work isn't sliding off the table all the time. Dust collection on it seems quite good for a tool of this vintage. Variable speed is also very nice to have.

I have the Grizzly. I hade to shim the table to get it perfictly flat. The stamped steel inserts are not flat. I have cut out some Corion inserts but have not tapped them yet so the originals aren't causing too much problems yet. The spindles do bolt on to the cabinet so they don't fall off when moving the sander. Overall I am happy with it.

I have the Grizzly with the 12" disc sander. It sees a lot of use in our shop because my wife does a lot of intarsia. The inserts are plastic, so they'll never be high precision, but the table tilts. Definitely meets our needs, but if you don't need the disc sander, it might not be worth it.

I would have paid more for a base that doubled as storage though ... seems like a lost opportunity.

Jim

I also have the Jet. The inserts are steel but there are only three and none that fit closely to small diameter spindles.

A agree with Rick about the poorly thought out method of storing spindles. I haven't noticed a problem with the dust collection as one side has to be fairly open to promote air flow .. also it makes changing spindles easy. I bought long handle wrenches separately to facilitate removing spindles .. otherwise it tends to get tight in there.

I have found the sleeves fit too tightly which makes installing and removing them a hassle. Putting the drums in the freezer helps but that can't be done when changing sleeves in the middle of a job and, really, when else do you need to change a worn out or gummed up sleeve ?

The Grizzly G1071 was my Christmas present last year. I looked at an old one first that was serious heavy duty but opted for the new G1071. Ten spindles ranging from 1/4" to 4", a warranty and available parts swayed me to new over old built like a tank. The G1071 is not a light duty machine by my standards. I am a hobby wood worker and the Grizz will last me the rest of my life easily.

Downside for me was the limited number of throat plates. I solved that with a trip to a "one off" fabrication shop with a water jet cutter. $15.00 each and made to any size I wanted. I read about others complaining of their throat plates not being flat. My factory ones were nice and flat. Others complain about the sleeves being tight on the drums. Mine are snug but changeable. My spindles had a coating of light rust under the rubber drums. Took them all apart and cleaned and Ospho'd them. Have not taken them apart to check results since but am guessing they are rust free in my air conditioned shop.
    Grizz OSS 1.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve looked for used without any luck so far. Im leaning towards the grizzly

Neil -

I have the Shop Fox, which is the same as the Grizzly - just a different color - and wouldn't be without it. As far as the loose spindles, invest in several nuts to match the threads on the spindles and secure the spindles from below after you place the spindles in the holder. What to do with the loose nut when the spindle is in use, you ask? Stick a magnet on the sander and store the nut on the magnet.

Max oscillating spindle sander.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve looked for used without any luck so far. Im leaning towards the grizzly
    There are spindle sanders from both Max and State for sale on WOODWEB. Look under sanders misc.

Mike

Shop Fox W1686 here (LINK). When with it over the Grizzly because the table is larger and in my experience Shop Fox's fit and finish is usually a noticeable bit better.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!