Thread: Miter gauge / sled storage

Miter gauge / sled storage

All day long I've been thinking about posting about my disappointment with the online retail / shipping policies of two different tool manufacturer / retailers I'm currently dealing with, but ... there's enough negativity in the world, so I won't name any names ... yet . Rather than complain about things beyond my control, here are photos of the scrap wood gizmo I knocked together this weekend to store my Osborne EB-3 miter gauge and Incra Miter 5000 under the wing of table saw.

The Osborne is my go-to miter gauge, and the Incra sled is super nice for repeatability and sled stuff. Only objection to either is the awkwardness of storing them. Hence this thing. Grrrippers can sit on top, and I may add some hooks on the Osborne side for blade wrenches or other gadgets, There's room left over to stash a dado set and/or other table saw accoutrements under the "tent." It's on Harbor Freight casters.

So here it is, for what it's worth: shouldn't be too hard to improve on my design if you're so inclined!

IMG_0647.jpgIMG_0646.jpg

--Jim

Thanks for posting this Jim. I have a more half-baked solution for storing mine and will adapt yours to my shop.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks Jim.

So its a table saw accessory storage/helper that looks like it can do double duty as a saw horse. Slick.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Well, it's on casters ... wish I'd thought of that

Where does one find "scrap wood". But really which of these do you find yourself reaching for more often? and do you like the Incra adjustments or Osborne better?

I have a simple sled but wanted to pick up a miter gauge but am unsure whether id rather ditch my sled and get a miter 5000 or keep my sled and pick up a incra 1000/3000 or Osborne?

I have a sled & Osborne miter gauge. Straight cuts use the sled & angle cut I use the Osborne.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Where does one find "scrap wood". But really which of these do you find yourself reaching for more often? and do you like the Incra adjustments or Osborne better?

I have a simple sled but wanted to pick up a miter gauge but am unsure whether id rather ditch my sled and get a miter 5000 or keep my sled and pick up a incra 1000/3000 or Osborne?

For me, the Osborne is what I use for straight cuts and most 45s. I use the Incra for wider panels since I can back it off farther from the blade. The Incra was a splurge but worth it. The Osborne gets used about every time I use the saw. As far as where scrap wood comes from? I make enough mistakes that I never run out.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the Incra.

Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    As far as where scrap wood comes from? I make enough mistakes that I never run out.
    LOL!
    Me, I NEVER make msteaks.
    Thanks! Made my day!

timely post. I was thinking last week that I should build some sort of storage for my miter gauge (also Osborne). I have a bunch of other TS related stuff + blades that needs permanent storage too. thinking about a set of drawers under the right wing of the saw that I can hang the osborne on the side. Blades and wrenches in a pull out drawer. Other stuff in lower drawers.

Of course though, I have the router in the left wing of the saw. So, I need storage for the fence parts, bits, inserts, etc for that too.

...so basically, I should stop being so darned lazy and get moving..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I built a set of drawers under mt right wing that leave about 12 inches to the left and 8 inches above so i've been keeping my sled standing on end on the side of them with 2 Grrrrippers on shelves on the same side and the stock mitre gauge above

My current miter gauge resides in the bracket on the right side of my Laguna Fusion TS. I'm picking up an Incra miter gauge next Monday and I'm not sure where or how to store it. I need to build a sled too so maybe something to store both.

My table saw stays covered with a tarp when not in use so I may just store the gauge in the miter slot on the table top and then cover it with the tarp.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Right now I keep my sled or fence, whichever I am not using, on the bottom shelf of my worktable. In the next few weeks I will be building shelves sized just for them so they are out of the way and protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    My current miter gauge resides in the bracket on the right side of my Laguna Fusion TS. I'm picking up an Incra miter gauge next Monday and I'm not sure where or how to store it. I need to build a sled too so maybe something to store both.

My table saw stays covered with a tarp when not in use so I may just store the gauge in the miter slot on the table top and then cover it with the tarp.
    I changed my mind and got the Osborne EB3. Now I need to build something like this to store it.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.