Thread: disc sander runout

disc sander runout

I'm shopping for a 12" disc sander. Few stores have them on display around here and on two of those display models I have seen (<$200) have had 1/16" (.0625) runout on the disc face. I think acceptable runout should be more like 0.005".

Am I wrong?

What is acceptable runout for a bench mount 12" disc sander?

The old Delta machines were very good and pretty much bullet proof. Now they seem to be poor quality machines, according to online reviews citing cupped tables and serious runout. What machine(s) would you guys recommend?

I agree that runout on a machine like that should be pretty minimal. The one Grizzly tool I happen to own is a (heavy) combo sander with a 12" disk and 6"x48" belt. I have never detected any meaningful runout on the disk, although I didn't actually measure it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

1/16” runout? That would be obvious to the eye when running and likely make the whole thing shake.

Which stores have you visited? I've been disappointed with the wood working machines in Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot. Their focus is mainly on job site and construction, and the tools reflect this. You might have better luck in Rockler, or Woodcraft, which are a bit more focused.

I think you may be expecting too much from the quality of machine you're looking at in home centers and hobby hardware stores.

The older Delta's are quite good, with better bearings. You can find them pretty cheap, and the "going rate" for a decent one is about $200 to $250. I've got one that I paid $150 for that runs great.....just too small for my needs, so it sits in the corner.
    Jeff

I have two 12” Delta sanders, an older combo and a benchtop. I can’t see any platter runout in either one, if there is, it’s minute. 1/16” or even 1/32" would be unacceptable.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would not waste my time with a disk sander. I have a combo disk-belt sander, and used the disk for years. About a year ago, I lifted the belt sander into vertical mode ... I will never return to the disk sander. The vertical belt sander absolutely rules: better control, even sanding, and less sanding marks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

A surprising story that might be pertinent.

I painstakingly rebuilt a 1959 Rockwell 12" disc sander. I believe all original parts...certainly looked that way. At some point during reassembly I realized the disc was out of balance to the point of shaking the machine. Not violent, but not what I'd call acceptable either. I had disc balanced and faced at an understanding motor machine shop. Silky smooth after that, but I found minimal uses for it over the 18 or so years I owned it. Just recently sold it.

Two things surprised me. First, that it was apparently never balanced from factory. Second, it didn't get used all that much over the years. No disc sander in shop now and I would have to have a specific use if I were to dedicate space for another.

P1070128 75%.jpg