Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are your old plane irons disposable?

My comment was based on what Garrett Hack said in a workshop I attended in Saratoga Springs a couple of weeks ago. He reported "using up" the blades on his most used planes in 2-3 years. I didn't see anything at all questionable about his sharpening technique, it actually seemed pretty minimalist-- about three swipes on a fine stone and he was done. It seems that he has only a few planes that he uses constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    My former user set were all vintage Stanley's, with none newer than about 90 years old. The bench planes all were fitted with Hock irons and the vintage ones saved. The block planes used the vintage irons as they generally saw very light use. When I sold them, the buyers were pleased to get the original irons and I was pleased to sell the Hock irons separately.
    The problem with "modern" blades is that you often have to file the mouth in order to get the blade to fit properly. This destroys the plane's historical value. In that case, you can send it to me for recycling.

BTW, filing the mouth isn't hard, cast iron cuts like butter. For reference, Rob Cosman has a good Youtube video on this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwEseXH8yzU

The more the merrier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    My comment was based on what Garrett Hack said in a workshop I attended in Saratoga Springs a couple of weeks ago. He reported "using up" the blades on his most used planes in 2-3 years. I didn't see anything at all questionable about his sharpening technique, it actually seemed pretty minimalist-- about three swipes on a fine stone and he was done. It seems that he has only a few planes that he uses constantly.
    First my apologies if my comment seemed off. It was based on my own experience of someone not using a plane for a living. Many vintage planes were purchased by weekend tinkerers and didn't see a lot of use. Collectors dream of finding a plane given as a gift to someone who didn't need or want it. Which leads back to you mentioning it means if the blade isn't worn it wasn't regularly used.

It is evident Mr. Hack spends many more of his days working on wood than me.

In 2-3 years he is likely to produce much more work than me over the remainder of my life.

Of course Stanley was quite ready with replacement blades in every hardware store for when a blade did wear beyond use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The problem with "modern" blades is that you often have to file the mouth in order to get the blade to fit properly. This destroys the plane's historical value. In that case, you can send it to me for recycling.

BTW, filing the mouth isn't hard, cast iron cuts like butter. For reference, Rob Cosman has a good Youtube video on this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwEseXH8yzU

The more the merrier.
    i never had an issue with that, excepting a low knob #6 that wouldn’t accept a Hock iron. All my sweetheart era stuff was just fine. All that said, what is to be preserved in historical value on a #5 from 1940 that is one of a bazillion made? They sell for $25 excepting antique stores selling to folks that don’t have a clue.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I think Garrett Hack was exaggerating how quickly an iron can wear out. He doesn't seem to work at any great rate and I don't think he does as much hand work as I do. I suspect I get over 10,000 sharpenings from an iron. I only own five bench planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post

The more the merrier.
    I replaced all the irons on my planes (and I have a decent number) and I didn't have to file the mouth on any of them. The replacements are LN's, Hocks, and LV's. But even if you had to file the mouth, if you wanted to put the old blade back in, all you have to do is move the frog forward.

And I don't have any concern about "historical value". There are many, many Stanley planes in the world. I really doubt of any of our user planes - even with the original iron - would be of interest to a museum or a collector.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

i never had an issue with that, excepting a low knob #6 that wouldn’t accept a Hock iron. All my sweetheart era stuff was just fine. All that said, what is to be preserved in historical value on a #5 from 1940 that is one of a bazillion made? They sell for $25 excepting antique stores selling to folks that don’t have a clue.
    Just something to be aware of. Most of my planes have had to have their mouthes aligned and refined for the option of a thicker blade.. Do I know what types they are? Hell no, I trust in God (er, I trust in my supplier, he has never failed to supply me with awesome tools.)

I'm not a collector. It would compromise and dilute my Slack.

Blog Entries
    [eited]

All that said, what is to be preserved in historical value on a #5 from 1940 that is one of a bazillion made? They sell for $25 excepting antique stores selling to folks that don’t have a clue.
    My first #5 cost me $35 from a tool dealer at a flea market. That was definitely before my first clues came along. Since then the most paid for a #5 was about $20. Most in the $10 or less range. All but the one bought from the tool seller required time to clean them up and tune them.

As far as being disposable, this blade was:

The Blade #1.jpg

That came with a #7 jointer found in an antique mall. Here is the story on it:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373

Trying to clean up the back didn't help:

After Lapping.jpg

The plane is a type 7 and the mouth is a bit tight even with a Stanley replacement blade. If you have a pristine example that is worth a lot on the collector market, you shouldn't worry about filing the mouth. Using it for its intended purpose will likely do as much to lower its collector value.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dear All, Many thanks for sharing your views on this topic.

If I understand correctely, Creekers mainly swap their irons to reach better performance but still keep the originals in a safe place.

I was naming Edward Preston not to have a bias on the availability of original parts, the volume produced is not the same as Stanley !

Stew, Andrew, Kevin, many thanks I think you nailed my issue. Fortunately most Preston planes I have are speciality planes and will never see as much use as a bench plane would. I will carry on with being carefull during sharpenings and hope for the best.

Whether to save the original iron or to use a better performing blade, there is a clear consensus on Hock products apparently, at least I know where to look if I need some bench plane irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You are not crazy if you feel the historical provenance of the tool is important. At the same time, you show a respect for the tool and it's past by using it well and properly. To me, that includes using the original iron. But there is nothing wrong with your approach.(...)
    Thank you Frederick, that is a refreshing idea! I did not forsee this way of thinking and I now completely understand your view! Thank you

Thank again to everybody for sharing their view, I can't do much on the Preston side, for my old Stanley now, time will tell, I might swap irons if my experience dictates the change then!
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 04-19-2019 at 8:03 PM. Reason: broken english

Quote Originally Posted by Axel de Pugey View Post
    ...there is a clear consensus on Hock products apparently, at least I know where to look if I need some bench plane irons.!
    Don't overlook the LeeValley PM-V11 blades. A worthy competitor. Try them both, choose what you like.

Frederick, Andrew, Thank you for the nice words.

It is actually quite touching to see support coming from all over the word…

The framing of this cathedral was called « the forest » as every single beam was a tree.

You can check some pictures here.

Unfortunately in France there is only 1 guy (the president) out of 67 millions who truly believe it will be rebuilt in only 5 years…

We have the knowledge, specially with an ancient guilde uninterrupted since medieval times called « Compagnons du Tour de France ». These guys learn their craft by going all over the country to be taught few months/years with a master, then go to another master and so on, they are creating wonders.

Unfortunately my fear is that instead of asking these people to rebuild with the proper technics, some ginormous modern building company will be given the contract…for the moment it is too early to know.

And even if this is the most famous, we have dozen of other amazing churches in France, my favorite is not in Paris but is Notre-Dame de Reims…each time I enter I have a wow effect. If you like good food and bubbly wine…go and have a look, Champagne region is quite nice !

Thanks again for your kind words

Whether to save the original iron or to use a better performing blade, there is a clear consensus on Hock products apparently, at least I know where to look if I need some bench plane irons.
    I would also recommend the Lee Valley PM-V11 irons over the Hock or the Lie Nielsen.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

And even if this is the most famous, we have dozen of other amazing churches in France, my favorite is not in Paris but is Notre-Dame de Reims…each time I enter I have a wow effect. If you like good food and bubbly wine…go and have a look, Champagne region is quite nice !
    One of my favorite colognes is Gucci Pour Homme, which smells a lot like my memories of those places. I wish we could still get it, long since discontinued. The copies don't do it justice. If you do find the original, well...

d…

We have the knowledge, specially with an ancient guilde uninterrupted since medieval times called « Compagnons du Tour de France ». These guys learn their craft by going all over the country to be taught few months/years with a master, then go to another master and so on, they are creating wonders.

Unfortunately my fear is that instead of asking these people to rebuild with the proper technics, some ginormous modern building company will be given the contract…for the moment it is too early to know.
    Last evening I told a friend there was going to be a big fight in Paris. I did not need to tell him what it was about. He knew that there would be people who thought something that lasted for 800 years was not good enough. Good luck.

I am a craftsman. I use the 100 year old irons because they are the best. Being thin and laminated, they sharpen much faster than the thick nasty stuff. And they get a finer edge because of the texture of the steel.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Mike an I put Hock Irons and breakers in my Bedrock planes.