Thread: Creating The Cope Cuts On The Ends Of The Very Long Rails

Creating The Cope Cuts On The Ends Of The Very Long Rails

Been lurking on the forum for a long time but this is my first post.
    I am building some wainscoting in a room using ogee raised panel router bits. The top and bottom rails are 11 ft. long. I have both a router table and a shaper. Wondering if anyone has suggestions on supporting and milling those ends cuts with the rest of the board sticking out so far.

Blog Entries
    Roller stand or other form of support. A quick-build, task-specific sled that rides the miter slot and clamps he material for control would be my choice. this gives good control at the action end and support at the long end.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cut a jack miter on the profiled sticking, and square off the stock behind, giving a good butt joint with a small miter.
    Alternatively, cut the square part, then cut the jack miter, and cope out just the profile with chisels.

Ah yeah, a jack miter. Perfect! I don't do a lot of stick and cope stuff so I had to look it up. Great suggestion. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schwab View Post
    Ah yeah, a jack miter. Perfect! I don't do a lot of stick and cope stuff so I had to look it up. Great suggestion. Thanks
    Depending on the construction method i like a couple of pocket screws in jack mitered casing/trim/wainscoting where clamps are impractical.

IMG_20190317_231523_718.jpg
    IMG_20190317_231523_724.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Depending on the construction method i like a couple of pocket screws in jack mitered casing/trim/wainscoting where clamps are impractical.

IMG_20190317_231523_718.jpg
    IMG_20190317_231523_724.jpg
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you. Strong joint and easy to do on the long rail. Perfect. That's what I'm going to do. Today's the day.