Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping Sled

Coping Sled

What coping sled do you use?
    What do you like about it?
    Would you buy again? If not which would buy?

I am considering the professional one from Infinity Tools.

Thanks.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George,

The Infinity appears to be a great coping sled.

I bought this one from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/rockler-rail-coping-jig. It's okay for the limited number of times I have used.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have the Woodpeckers sled, its very nice, safe. Check it out at https://www.incrementaltools.com/Pro...de=WPCOPESLED1 .

Many folks will malign you for considering purchasing one instead of making it yourself, but if you have the funds I don't think you'd go wrong with the Infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post
    I have the Woodpeckers sled, its very nice, safe. Check it out at https://www.incrementaltools.com/Pro...de=WPCOPESLED1 .
    The Woodpecker sled would be my second choice for an upgrade to the Eagle America one I have now.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Made one (NSF) that can handle stock in both directions. Moreover, robust enough to handle plastic, aluminum and wood.
    Could not find anything that could stand the stress, rigor & work-isolation so necessary for these imposing x-cuts.

Blog Entries
    Shop made:

Cope Sled-(2).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the pro version from Infinity and really like it. I have had for 6 or 7 years. The new one with the aluminum guide blocks and bessey clamps would be very nice indeed.

Jack

I use a simple shop made one. 3/4" melamine coated particleboard with sandpaper on the top surface, aluminum runner, wood backup fence and a DeStaco clamp. Out of pocket cost less than $20. One thing that really helps with consistency is a vertical featherboard that bears on the workpiece and pushes it and the sled down onto the shaper table while making the cut.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-06-2014 at 8:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    Home made one here too (hmm, need to take another pic, this one is missing the push handle???):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Most of the time it's probably best to have one that lets the piece ride on the tabletop, but sometimes it has to ride on top of a sled. I just keep some clamps around for the purpose, and cobble something together for a specific use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've got the Woodpeckers. The star knob hold downs are a PITA when doing any kind of volume work......too much time turning 2 knobs to tighten and loosen repeatedly. My next one will use DeStaCos.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have the same one as Ken (Rockler). I also have the Sam opinion as Ken, it's ok. However when I changed to the Somerfield matched bits it wasn't useful in taking advantage of their system. I don't use it any more. I now have an extra wide push block that works very well and don't really need it anymore.

I use the copping sled from Weaver on my Delta 3hp shaper. It does require a miter slot on the table. It's quick and easy to use. No clamps to fiddle with. Stock is held in place with hand pressure.

http://www.weaver-sales.com/manual-tenon-jig.htm
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I have the Infinity Pro coping sled. IMO, it's a great sled. The toggle clamps make it easy to cope a small production run, as opposed to screw down clamps. You can use it sliding against your table fence or in the miter slot with the optional miter bar. I bought it years ago and it included the miter bar in the package. Now it's an accessory. I recently upgraded it to the new aluminum blocks that the new version comes with. Solid as a rock. I run it in my miter slot on my Incra router table. With the Freud Quadra Cut rail and stile bits, I get perfect cope and stick joints.