Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 65 or Jet JTAS-10XL

Powermatic 65 or Jet JTAS-10XL

I have an opportunity to purchase either saw. The gentleman with the Powermatic 65 has taken impeccable care of it and recently replaced all the belts. I do worry about the age of the saw, but I have to believe that it will probably outlive me as long as I continue to take care of it. He's asking $1,000 which seems a little high based on various threads I've seen.

The other option is the Jet ($1,100)- also in impeccable condition. Both single phase, 240V. Both with mobile bases, but the Jet has the long extension table.

Seems like a no brainer to me based on age of the saw and the extension table, but Powermatic is local and the Jet is about 160 mile drive one way.

Thanks for your advice - it is always appreciated.

Best,
    G. De Silva

The no brainer to me is get the PM, but $1000 is a lot unless it was meticulously restored. I love old machinery but $1000 for a 55+ year old saw is a lot, especially when Unisaw regularly pop up for $4-500 in a lot of parts of the country, though they likely need cleaned up.

The 65 is slightly different from the 66, where the trunnions are spaced woder apart on the 66. I restored a 65 and it’s a great saw that will outlive you and your kids if not abused.

Regarding the extension table, I think that shouldn’t be part of the decision since it’s easy to add.

What’s the HP of each machine?
    Where are you located?
    Pics?

Thanks for the reply - I agree, the PM is a great saw, but I too felt a 1000 was way over priced for the machine.

PM is 1.5 HP (but on an older motor - seller says it's closer to 3HP by today's standards); Jet is a 3HP machine

I'm in STL, MO

Powermatic 2.jpgPowermatic.jpg
    Jet.jpgJet 2.jpg

How old is the Jet? Riving knife? Is it offshore manufactured?

What fences are on the saws?

Didn't see your photos at first...

I like that PM, age isn't a big problem... but the motor cover missing would be a big problem for me... 1.5hp ≠ 3.0hp either.

I have a long fence, rarely need the capacity, so that's a non-issue... tenoning jig, blades, nice enough, but your buying a saw so don't even think about them...

Maybe if he threw in a few of those slabs?

Jet is from 1997, yes to the riving knife, not sure if it's offshore manufactured but I believe this particular model is manufactured in TN.

Factory fence on the JET (Biesemeyer style), Vega fence on the Powermatic, but I have a VerySuperCool Fence system from a prior saw that I would probably swap out.

If the powermatic were priced around 600 I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Just having a hard time justifying the additional cost for a 55 year old machine - should something fail, I don't know what the part availability is (probably none)

If it's not offshore, I'd go for that Jet.

Looks like a clean saw. I'm sure they'd take an even offer too.

The PM is very cool, but as you said, price, age... and that missing motor cover is a problem were it me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayan De Silva View Post
    Jet is from 1997, yes to the riving knife, not sure if it's offshore manufactured but I believe this particular model is manufactured in TN.

Factory fence on the JET (Biesemeyer style), Vega fence on the Powermatic, but I have a VerySuperCool Fence system from a prior saw that I would probably swap out.
    I am not 100% sure but I thought Jet was always imported. It can't be mentioned without a timeout over at OWWM. I also didn't think Jet had a riving knife that long ago. The Jet is 22 years old. I think both are overpriced.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 04-11-2019 at 8:20 PM.

The Jet like like a splitter. No way a riving knife from '97.

You are correct, thank you!

If it's offshore at $1100? That's closer to new price for some import saws today...

Agree that 1.5hp does not equal 3 hp, it’s not wine. The motors typically were bigger back in the day, and the larger mass means more momentum which can give a little extra compared to today’s Motors.

The 65 does look well cared for. Parts are generally interchangeable with 66’s, both of which can be found on OWWM and eBay.

If you can’t get the price down on either, pass on both.

I’d rather have a new Grizzly than that Jet for that price.

What part of the country are you from?

I don't know what you are using now for a table saw, but I really think that you would be very happy with either one of these. I'd go for the PM. They are fantastic saws and retain a lot of resale value. That said, the Jet is also a nice smooth saw. You have an extended table and fence so again, everything is favoring the PM. Unless they are slap worn right out I don't feel like either one is over priced for what they are. It's been my experience that wood working machines go for a lot more than most people quote or say they should bring. However, the surest way to find one cheap is to buy one of these.....you will trip over an unbelievable deal for one on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Siebert View Post
    I don't know what you are using now for a table saw, but I really think that you would be very happy with either one of these. I'd go for the PM. They are fantastic saws and retain a lot of resale value. That said, the Jet is also a nice smooth saw. You have an extended table and fence so again, everything is favoring the PM. Unless they are slap worn right out I don't feel like either one is over priced for what they are. It's been my experience that wood working machines go for a lot more than most people quote or say they should bring. However, the surest way to find one cheap is to buy one of these.....you will trip over an unbelievable deal for one on the way home.
    Using a Bosch Contractor saw, so either of these would be a big upgrade. Thanks for the reply!