Thread: Band saw blade size and burning

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Band saw blade size and burning

Hi all,

i finally bit the bullet and got a new bandsaw, Jet JBS-14SFX. I am generally very happy with it but I have two questions:

First the saw seems to burn hardwood of 2-3 thick. I’ve tried different feed rates but it seems to consistently cause some burning. Any thoughts about why this would be? The stock blade is 5/8” deep by 116.25 long, 4 tpi, hook type, 025” thick. Burning happens whether crosscutting or ripping, straight or curved cuts, although it’s worse on curves.

Which brings me to question 2: thinking that the blade that came with the saw is probably not great, one thing I am going to try is replacing the blade. The spec sheet for the saw says it takes a 116” blade. But the owners manual says the blade is 116.25. I can find replacement blades that are 116.0 and 116.5. But not ones that are 116.25. My initial thought was to go with 116.5 to give me a little extra room, but then it occurred to me that since the spec sheet says 116, maybe 116 and 116.25 are interchangeable. Any thoughts here?

I emailed the blade length question to Jet and they have not replied.

thanks for your help!

-dan
    Last edited by Dan Gaylin; 04-17-2019 at 9:50 AM.