Thread: HVLP: 3m PPS 1.0 vs 2.0 + Accuspray opinions

HVLP: 3m PPS 1.0 vs 2.0 + Accuspray opinions

I have been investigating purchasing the 3m PPS cup system after some trusted recommendations. It looks great.

There's a great deal for the 16580 kit which includes all components for the cup and an Accuspray gun with several different tips.

But this is all the version 1 kit. Is the Version 1 acceptable or should I really hold out for the 2.0? I am not in a hot rush for this but loves me a good deal.

I recently bought the "whole shebang" based on John T's recommendation, but haven't put it to the test yet because the project I original wanted to use it for the first time was impractically too large to spray in my shop. The $385 or so investment will not go unused for much longer, however, and I know it's going to kick things up for me over what I have been using for nearly two decades. I can't help with the "versions" as I was unaware that was on the table. If you want to physically look at the stuff before you buy, you're welcome to do that here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, which kit exactly did you purchase? It must be the 1.0 version.

Prashun, I was recommending you buy the PPS H/O cup system for your Fuji gun, not a whole new system. Accuspray guns work quite well, but there's no need to buy one just to benefit from the PPS cup system. All you need is a H/O cup (I have the 850 ml one) with some liners and lids, and an adapter to connect it to your Fuji fun. All in you are talking no more than $150.

Jim bought the Qualspray AM-6008 HVLP SmartPak from Homestead Finishing, with the PPS cup option. That's the gun I've been using for several years now. It's a good, mid level gun, but you need a compressor with at least 6 cfm output to drive it.

John

The Accuspray version 1 kit with a few liners, 1 hard cup, several tips AND A GUN is only $180.

Actually - here's a dumb question: can the accuspray even be used with a 2-stage turbine.?

What's the one you are looking at designed for? Accuspray makes guns for both compressed air and turbines.

John

That 3M 16389 gun will not work with a turbine. Just go by John's recommendation, and you will be in good shape.

I have that version 1.0 setup, but spent a lot more on different nozzles, cups, liners, and filters since that first box of stuff. If I didn't already have that, I'd get the latest version.

Understood, Guys. Thanks. It has been hard to get a person who knows exactly what I should order. I have a parts number list from 3m but have not been able to find a human to tell me what part to purchase.

I will figure it out eventually.

This is what I needed for a semi pro 2 about a year ago:

Adapter for m series gun: 3M 16054 PPS Adapter 18
    Cup: 3M 16124 PPS Type H/O Large Pressure Cup
    Kit: 3M 16024 PPS Large Kit with 200 Micron Filters, Clear White

Works great, huge improvement.

Think it was all about 150ish.

Ok. I'm skipping the gun and will just upgrade the cup system.

Thanks, Shawn. I think I got it. The problem was mapping these to v2.0. Also, my projects tend to be a tad smaller, so I went with the Midi. Here's what I settled on:

3M 1 kit/cs, PPS Series 2.0 Spray Cup System Kit, Midi (13.5 fl oz, 400 mL), 200u Micron Filter (2PS-26112) (which includes lids, liners, plugs, and a hard cup.)

The proper 2.0 adapter is I believe : 26054 #S18

Thanks again. Looking forward to using this on a closet project next month.

I'm not positive, so somebody a bit more experienced may need to weigh in, but the 2.0 was not compatible with the semi pro. It needed the pressurized h/o cup, a little tube runs from the gun to the cup to I assume help squash the material out of the liner. Last year they had still not gotten around to making a version of it for the 2.0 system. After researching back then, I couldn't find any significant reason why 2.0 was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Understood, Guys. Thanks. It has been hard to get a person who knows exactly what I should order.
    I will figure it out eventually.
    Call Jeff Jewitt...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff is a fantastic resource.

He has given great advise to many woodworkers for a long time. I finally started to understand finishing because of his contributions to the CompuServe woodworking forum in the late 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Call Jeff Jewitt...

I just went back, and reviewed the changes to the 2.0 system. I don't think they matter a bit for an upright cup as used in the H/O system. I have never minded the screw on lids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZdOiI4khzY

Shawn is right: 2.0 is not compatible with the pressurized cups like the one on the Semipro2. You need the "HO cup" which is different from both the normal 1.0 and 2.0 cups.

I received mine today. It fits.