Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exotic Wood - Is there Interest?

I have a couple projects in my shop right now that are keeping me very busy but I will post pictures and prices ASAP.

Any update to this thread, I just pick up my first lathe and looking for some blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Blighton View Post
    Any update to this thread, I just pick up my first lathe and looking for some blanks.
    Larry, until those are available: have you checked out local woodturning clubs? I see there is one in Jacksonville - http://www.jaxturners.org
    If you haven't, a club is usually a great place to find wood to get started. Most have wood every month that members donate and the clubs raffle. Some have wood auctions - our club in Knoxville auctions a bunch of donated wood every year. The club is a great place to meet people who have lots of wood and are willing to share, sell, or trade. Most are local domestic woods, but Florida has some pretty nice tropicals! But the exotic species Keith mentioned would be of great interest since they are hard or nearly impossible to find.

JKJ

Sorry for the delay. I have been busy lately and have had a medical issue to deal with that lasted over 5 weeks, and now Christmas season is here. I promise to get some pictures uploaded shortly and i am told that I can now start receiving some larger blanks, just need to work out the shipping details. We could sure use the revenue from the sale of turning blanks.

Not really interested in pen blanks but larger pieces for turning and/or flat work interest me. Am I to assume it best to contact David directly or did he plan to upload some pics?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    Not really interested in pen blanks but larger pieces for turning and/or flat work interest me. Am I to assume it best to contact David directly or did he plan to upload some pics?
    thanks
    I contacted him last April and we talked for some time on the phone. It sounded like he had a lot of wood in good sizes. I expressed interest in some larger than pen blanks and he said he would let me know. I got all excited and was prepared to drive to Texas to look and buy. However, I never heard from him (maybe it was a misunderstanding.) Actually, with my unreliable memory I forgot all about it - each time I see another post to this thread I remember then forget again... [sigh]

I see he last checked SMC in October of '19 so if you contact him you might want to do it by email.

I talked to David about ten days ago on the phone. He indicated that he does have smaller pieces available (larger than pen blanks). He has offered to send me some to sell here at The Creek but I am concerned about paying for two way shipping and what that would do to the price. If you have trouble contacting David let me know I seem to be
    able to get through to him easily.

I have been swamped again lately with projects that droped into my shop unexpectedly. I recently got all of the boxes of pen blanks off the shelf, just need to finish engraving some medallions for a couple of Creekers before I can get the pen blanks sanded and take some pictures.

Put me down on the list as interested

I'd like some pen blanks and if there are any other small pieces I'd be interested as well. I mainly make small boxes, so even if a piece is just a few inches it would make a great box.
    Last edited by Bert McMahan; 01-23-2020 at 7:06 PM.

I have three new threads with 15 pen blanks for sale in each thread in our Classifieds Forum.
    I have more of these and other species to add as time permits, and assuming these will be popular.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-27-2020 at 3:43 PM.

David, I came across your post about exotic wood yesterday - is some or much of it still available? Thanks, best regards, Ralph Cox, Austin, TX