Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exotic Wood - Is there Interest?

Exotic Wood - Is there Interest?

I have recently received a donation of over 800 pen blanks from a new friend of mine who wants to help support SawMill Creek. My question is how many people would be interested in purchasing pen blanks here? I can prep the blanks, make serial numbers and post pictures of each blank if there is interest. If this goes well my friend can provide knife blanks and bowl blanks as well.

These were all imported before they were placed on the list of banned species. I'm not sure that I can answer any questions concerning exotic species, my experience is limited to local hardwoods in Virginia.

Bees Wing Figured Narra
    Snakewood
    Figured Afzelia
    Figured Narra AK Amboyna
    Siamese
    Afzelia XY-Lay
    Long Leaf Pine (not Pictured)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-17-2019 at 8:54 AM.

I may be interested in some,

Are some of them highly figured, for example the Snakewood? Burl-figured Amboyna Narra is fantastic wood - I don't know about the beeswing but it sounds intriguing .

What sizes do you have? At least 5/8"sq x 5"?

I rarely turn pens but I often look for small pieces of figured wood for other uses. I do know a lot of people who turn pens - when I make up bundles of pen blanks from both exotic and domestic woods for our club auction I'm always surprised how much they go for with people bidding against each other. These were woods like olive, bubinga, highly figured walnut, spalted maple, etc. I typically make bundles of 10 or so.

(That's another idea - auction them to the right audience. Our turning club has an annual auction and I get to be the auctioneer - brought in over $1800 last month!)

If your friend is able and willing to provide larger sizes of figured wood, I'll be the first in line. I use a lot of 1.5" to 2"+ squares, as short as 3" or so, preferably longer.

JKJ

I may have some interest as well.

The pen blanks I have are all at least 3/4" by 5" long. Some are 7/8" by 5" long.

My friend is David Borek, I believe he told me he has containers of exotic lumber inventory he would like to sell, its time for him to retire. I could post pictures of his inventory all day long.

You can contact David by Private Message for now. I will post his contact information shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-19-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks you, I will contact him. This may be worth a trip for a visit!

EDIT: oops, when I click on the link I got this: "David Borek has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. "

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The pen blanks I have are all at least 3/4" by 5" long. Some are 7/8" by 5" long.

My friend is David Borek, I believe he told me he has over 2 million dollars of exotic lumber inventory he would like to sell, its time for him to retire. I could post pictures of his inventory all day long.

You can contact David by Private Message for now. I will post his contact information shortly.

John, I corrected the issue. You can contact David now.

On Ten Acres in Driftwood, Texas 78619 just 30 miles SW of Austin, TX
    Hi Im new to SMC Im learning how to use it. Please send me a private message and Ill respond and give you my Phone number to talk about Exotics I have two containers of Exiotics from Laos when I purchased them in 2003-4 I have all the reciepts on all of it. I have beams and we can cut Acoustic Guitar Sets, Lots of premium Rosewoods and 2" thick wide lumber of Afzelia XY-Lay and Maidou Burl, Afzelia Burl, Mun Ebony, Bees Wing NARRA Figure, Rosewood Burl. Desert Ironwood, 0ver 36 species of burls. Ive been cutting burls now for 42 years and turning since 1964. what ever you are looking for I most likely have it. David J. Borek SW of Austin, Texas.

Keith, David,

I too am interested. David, I will send you a PM as i will be in Austin in June. I’d like to visit you then.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

i have manzanita.

Quote Originally Posted by David Borek View Post
    Hi Im new to SMC Im learning how to use it. Please send me a private message and Ill respond and give you my Phone number to talk about Exotics I have two containers of Exiotics from Laos when I purchased them in 2003-4 I have all the reciepts on all of it. I have beams and we can cut Acoustic Guitar Sets, Lots of premium Rosewoods and 2" thick wide lumber of Afzelia XY-Lay and Maidou Burl, Afzelia Burl, Mun Ebony, Bees Wing NARRA Figure, Rosewood Burl. Desert Ironwood, 0ver 36 species of burls. Ive been cutting burls now for 42 years and turning since 1964. what ever you are looking for I most likely have it. David J. Borek SW of Austin, Texas.

do you want to trade for manzanita?

I would be very interested. 99 percent of my pen blanks are imported exotic woods.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Just a few people but I will prep and take pictures of a few pen blanks and post them in the Classifieds Forum ASAP.

I am too interested in it

I'm late to the party, but might be interested in pen blanks if the price is right and if they are available. Please let me know about availability and price points.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO