Thread: Bandmill base question and sawing pine

Bandmill base question and sawing pine

I was sawing out some pine for rafters - had really good logs - but they were cut only a few weeks ago. My tape measure may never be the same, the pitch coming out of those logs was crazy.

My friend that was helping me do the sawing introduced me to the greatest pitch removal trick ---- WD-40. That was a lifesaver. I'm tempted to wash my clothes in it...

Now for the question - we have a lot of freeze-thaw that causes us to have to re-level the bandmill constantly. I do not have a good base under it now - and I want to change that but I am debating about a gravel/item4 type of compacted base vs. concrete. However, I understand that concrete is not necessarily recommended because it can cause the mill to bounce about. So my thought was to screw a 2x6 to the jack feet and set that on concrete. The wood should give it just enough traction and give to prevent the bouncing but the concrete will prevent the vast majority of settling issues (although not all given our weird winters/springs here in the Catskills).

thoughts?
    thanks,
    john
    thanks,
    john

Turner bandmill with 30" throat, 20' max log, 13hp Honda, New Holland 5050 (85hp) with grapple, three Homelite Super XLs, and Jonsered 2050. I move the mill, logs, and lumber with my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and Carmate 6'x12' dump trailer.

I bought a old truck frame and mounted my oscar 18 to it. Put some jack stands under it to get it up off the floor. I have it in my garage to make it handy. Works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dan petroski View Post
    I bought a old truck frame and mounted my oscar 18 to it. Put some jack stands under it to get it up off the floor. I have it in my garage to make it handy. Works well for me.
    Need to mention that I added 150 lbs to the carrage framework to reduce vibration. That helped a bunch