Thread: Woodworking Training Guideline

Woodworking Training Guideline

A couple years ago I was ask by a local couple to teach their three sons woodworking. I have been flying by the seat of my pants for over a year and they have made several projects and learned use of several hand tools and some closely guided use of machines. I now feel I need guidelines that are more organized. Does anyone know of such information? A major problem for me is a six or seven year range in age and a physical size and strength difference.

Ken

Hi Ken,

If it was me I would use Woodworking Basics by Peter Korn as the basis for the training. They could each purchase the book to use as reference and then you could walk them through it doing the hands-on parts. There are 5 projects that build on previously taught skills.

https://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-B...s%2C153&sr=8-1
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Wow this is a tricky situation. Personally I would not do anything involving machines.

Accidents happen so suddenly its like getting kicked by a horse. Its over before you knew it happened.

I would have a hard time living with myself if anything happens.

My suggestion is stick to hand tools.

So to answer your question, take a look at Paul Sellers. Nothing wrong with watching a YouTube video with them!!

Another suggestion. Do a Goole search on "woodworking training curriculum" and you will find lots from highschool shop classes and other t
    raining such as this:

http://valleyoakscharterschool.org/h...orkingText.pdf
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

What are the kids interested in building? I would work from there. Then I would factor in age, ability, safety consciousness, awareness etc.

Ken go to your U.S. Deparartment of Agriculture extension Office and ask to see their 4-H woodworking booklets. These are geared for ages 8 to 18. Each booklet is good for two or three grade levels. They all have skill building projects.

Joe --The 4H is a GREAT idea!!! -I just looked on their site - https://shop4-h.org/products/woodwor...1-measuring-up

Working through Tage Frid's Joinery book would be a pretty organized and useful curriculum. Perhaps a small project using the contents of each chapter.

Jacob knows about kids.

When I was about 6 years I received a birthday pocket knife. Please don't call DHS because that was in the mid 1940's.
    I saw WWll planes flying and learned about propellers. Hey, I can make one of those with my pocket knife and with a hole bored for a nail the wind would make it rotate. And that pocket knife is one of the best ways to learn about wood grain early in life.

That was a simple prop and later in life I advanced to a 4 blade, with a fuselage, learned about prop balance, an easy way to remove flux from a 1/8" welding rod for them to pivot on, hole sizes for different stuff and things such as that. I still make these and give them away to kids that have eyes that light up when they see them. Sure, not all are interested in that. Possibly the wife is partially correct when she mentions I really never grew up.

Hope you are stressing safety in the use of power tools. Most new machines come with a list of safety rules, you should use those for some sort of test to make the kids study the safety rules and pass a test before operating any power tools. And then demonstrate proper use of the machines, including how to stand and what to concentrate on for safe use. Also the kids should know what will happen if a board kicks back out of a table saw, or planer etc. Make sure they know to stay out of the line of fire when one of the others are running a machine.