Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's All Gone Now

It's All Gone Now

A very sad loss of a wonder of woodworking art, stone working art, blacksmithing art, sculpture, painting, and a lot of humanity:

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

800 years since it was completed, almost 300 years to build.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Makes my heart hurt.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

The towers have been saved, they say, and some of the roof will survive. And no one was killed. I am trying to stay focused on that.

Can you imagine working on the same monument your grandfather worked on, knowing that your kids and grandkids may also work there before it is completed? I can't imagine something of that scale being attempted, or even feasible, today.

i hope we see it rebuilt in our lifetime, but that it's done to look exactly like it did. With today's technology, probably a lot less time than all by hand, and back.

I am moved in a surprising way and want to help rebuild. Wouldn’t it be nice if modern technology allows us to collaborate globally on the restoration? For example; Could groups of people around the world build pews to measured drawings? Can US forests provide some of the oak timbers? I just hope the authorities let people who want to help, get to work without overly complicating the restoration.

I fear that some of the skills used to build the original structure have been lost to time. However, it's good to hear their vow to re-build. A sad, sad day.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

There are still plenty of Artisans with the skills needed. I don't know about that in another generation, or two though. Even as the skills can be passed on, the understanding of what a day's work is might be harder to come by.

[QUOTE=Tom M King;2918378]There are still plenty of Artisans with the skills needed. I don't know about that in another generation, or two though. Even as the skills can be passed on, the understanding of what a day's work is might be harder to come by.[/QUOT]

Certainly. We do this kind of work here in Pennsylvania. There is no shortage of artisans.

Where in PA Warren? I grew up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    I am moved in a surprising way and want to help rebuild. Wouldn’t it be nice if modern technology allows us to collaborate globally on the restoration? For example; Could groups of people around the world build pews to measured drawings? Can US forests provide some of the oak timbers? I just hope the authorities let people who want to help, get to work without overly complicating the restoration.
    I would be delighted to make a whatever for the rebuild. The thing is too valuable to tear it down and put in another department store.

They can restore the building, but not the artifacts inside it. Illuminated manuscripts, tapestries, paintings, etc. are probably all lost. I think of the bunring of the library in Alexandria. Such a loss to humanity.

As I understand it, the treasures were saved -- priests cleared them out as the building burned.

They will rebuild, and not for the first time.
    It's an act of dedication to keep these open.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.ea7af72158b6

More information about the status of the treasures of the cathedral:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rals-treasures

A priest who comforted the wounded in the Bataclan concert hall after the Paris terror attacks in 2015 joined a human chain of firefighters to help save priceless religious relics from the burning Notre Dame Cathedral on Monday night.
    Search for "Priest helped firefighters rescue treasures from burning Notre Dame" if the link goes away.

I so pleased to learn that I was partially wrong about it all being gone. The link shows some things remain, the Rose Windows, the Altar, and more.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-mourning.html

And a lot of the art and artifacts were pulled out and preserved.

Still pretty bad, but at least not total destruction.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron