Thread: Anyone have a Grizzly G0490 Jointer or a Delta 37-315 with a non-OEM fence?

Anyone have a Grizzly G0490 Jointer or a Delta 37-315 with a non-OEM fence?

So I just bought a Delta 37-315 Jointer without a fence. The fence carriage is there, but nothing beyond that point.

I think the fence on the Grizzly G0490 will work in its place if the shaft that connects the carriage to swivel (tilt assembly) attaches to the carriage. The Delta shaft has holes 6'' on center and is 3/4'' in diameter. I'm not sure if it has a variation at the connection point because I don't actually have a shaft. I can possibly make or have a shaft made if the Grizzly swivel fits between the connector brackets on the delta carriage.

Can anyone give me dimensions of the Grizzly shaft and width of the swivel?

Or, better yet, anyone Have a fence assembly for the 37-315 and need a useful place to put it?

Disregard the red arrows on the green grizzly fence. The assemblies appear similar. Looks like the swivel on the grizzly may be wider than the delta, or the grizzly carriage could be narrower.

o6nr9ve.jpg
    12376-B.jpg

David ,to bad this thread was not two months or so ago. I had a 37-315 and a Delta DJ-20 in my shop at the same time,but I have since sold both.I can tell you the design is the same. Do you have a friend who is a machinist ?You also could just get a steel plate fabricated up to mount a piece of maple and make your own fence. Hope you can find something to work, Mike.

David, I have a G0490x and will be in the shop in about 1 hour. I would be glad to get the measurements from my machine.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Mike. The DJ-20 jointer sure does look similar to the Grizzly. Makes me wonder how Delta can justify the price difference.

That would be great Ken!

Blog Entries
    Shaft is a 3/64" over 3/4" (zero'd and re-checked 3 times with this inexpensive caliper) and the spacing appears to be 6" OC.

Caliper(1).jpgCaliper(2).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glen! I can't think of any reason why I can't make this work without minor altercations, if any. Unless i'm missing something.

I'm gonna go for it. I'll let you know...

David, I measured the shaft at 0.786" and the mounting bolts at 6 1/4" Center-to-Center. I measured the length of the shaft at 6 7/8". My dial caliper is 6" so I had to use my combination square for the bolt length and distance between mounting bolts.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-15-2019 at 8:10 PM.
    Ken

Thanks Ken!

I've got a 6'' OC and a 6.25'' OC. Guess I'll split the difference and hope for the best.

Thanks alot everyone. I'm going to give it a go.

0.786. is. 19.96mm. so 20 mm shaft should fit perfect. Buy it from Zoro or ebay
    Bil lD.

The Grizzly is one of the "clones" of a Delta DJ-20 jointer, nearly exact copy. AFAIK Delta no longer makes these. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hingle View Post
    Thanks Ken!

I've got a 6'' OC and a 6.25'' OC. Guess I'll split the difference and hope for the best.

Thanks alot everyone. I'm going to give it a go.
    David, it's possible I have a newer version of the same jointer. IIRC, Glenn had to modify his "bin" to get the dust collection to function better. The newer ones had a modification built in.

Just in case, I will remeasure my bolts tomorrow afternoon when I am back in the shop.
    Ken

Maybe so. Splitting the difference actually works with the current model. I just received the shaft and spindle. Pretty close to 6 1/8'' on center. No use taking anything apart at this point. Thanks Ken

Now I need to think of a good method of moving one of those holes. I may wait till Monday and bring it over to some friends in the machine shop at work, but I'm not sure I have that kind of patients...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    David, it's possible I have a newer version of the same jointer. IIRC, Glenn had to modify his "bin" to get the dust collection to function better. The newer ones had a modification built in.

Just in case, I will remeasure my bolts tomorrow afternoon when I am back in the shop.
    Ken recalls correctly. I would lean toward his measurement. I just eyeballed with the caliper quickly while getting ready for work. Ooops, just saw post #13 .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler