Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointer Options

Hi Andrew, we lived in Rochester MN for several years in 2000 - 2007. I picked up some very nice old tools . 18 inch Oliver bandsaw $800, Northfeild 8In jointer I think I payed $1200.. I wish I didn't sale them..but we moved and it was not practical to bring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    For you folks in used tool heaven, remember that many of us live in used tool deserts. For example, in the Mpls area, on CL, there have been three. 8" jointers listed in the last 4 months. The first two were overpriced relative to new, and both were gone in a matter of days. The third got listed yesterday, a PJ882 "new in crate" for $2000. After that for the entire state of MN, there are currently 7 other jointers listed, three gad-awful 6" Craftsmans with the non adjustable outfeed table, three sub 6" jointers, and one awful jointer-planer-sander combo.

For many of us, used just isn't an option, no matter how much we would like it to be

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    FWIW, there was a 16" Oliver for sale last night on CS, NJ, for $250!
    What is CS?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    What is CS?
    Craig's List
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Craig's List
    thanks... I am used to hearing it called CL I guess someone got lucky to grab that jointer for dirt cheep. I scrub craigs list kinda often in NJ and so far have only seen one amazing deal on a powermatic lathe but it was a monster and i am somewhat looking for a midi.

And if you are working with a lot of figured stock, imo you need a drum or widebelt sander anyway. So I am not on the helix head bandwagon for a jointer. But concede that some may be having good success with it.

(my Grizzly 8" sold for $450. And I bought a used 12" which was $1200 as I recall. Although prices have went up, $2k seems like a lot for a 8" jointer)

6. The $1755 delivered and in my workshop price for a Grizzly G0858 8" jointer is relative. I have the money, I want it, therefore I got it. My research told me it gave the best bang for my bucks. Others may not reach the same conclusion.

There are those who will buy a Dodge Ram for $50,000 plus or a Mercedes for $80,000 plus. In 80,000 miles the value of those vehicles will be 25-30% of retail if that, plus as they age they become money pits.

My jointer in 8 years may require new cutters for around $200.00 and if history remains as it has, will still be worth 40-50% of new retail. Plus, my jointer won't be a money pit.

That's what I mean by the cost basis of products being relative. I wouldn't have a Dodge Ram or Mercedes as they have no value to me. My 8" jointer does.

Thank goodness we live in a free market.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Man, $2k for an 8” jointer. My $.02, if you have even a little mechanical ability, try to find a used jointer for less than half that. Jointers don’t have many things to go wrong.

And unless you have money to spend, a helical head in a jointer doesn’t make a lot of sense. That jointed board will be planed, so if you’re going to helical route the planer is much more important.

Where are you located?

But... shiny new toys can be fun, I get it. I prefer dirty old toys that I can fix it up and save money.
    This times ten thousand.

8. After searching for a used jointer for three months and finding nothing but overpriced junk and behind-the-barn broken rust-buckets, I could keep looking and still not have a jointer.

I get that you prefer dirty old toys. I prefer to get a jointer that works today and can start woodworking.

That's why I chose to pay cash for a new one.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Chapel you had the money ,you wanted it, therefore you got it. Hope you are happy with it. Why do you have to be so forceful with your opinions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel Eastland View Post
    The $1755 delivered and in my workshop price for a Grizzly G0858 8" jointer is relative. I have the money, I want it, therefore I got it. My research told me it gave the best bang for my bucks. Others may not reach the same conclusion.
    Sorry I missed it that you had already pulled the trigger. No justification of decision making needed.

That is awesome, a great product and you will enjoy it!!

11. Didn't realize I was being forceful in my opinions. I thought it was a give and take conversation.

Sorry if you were triggered.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Sorry I missed it that you had already pulled the trigger. No justification of decision making needed.

That is awesome, a great product and you will enjoy it!!
    Thanks. If I could have found a old dirty toy I would have tried it as I enjoy restorations. But alas, I'm in the land where Shopsmiths and rusted hulks of Craftsman reign supreme.

Chapel I am happy for you,hope you enjoy that new machine. I have said this before,but only you can decide how to spend your money,and what you really want. O crap we have done it again,what happened to the O.P. ?

14. Thanks. I do think the OP can gain insight from this thread. Lot's of viewpoints and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    What is CS?

Craigslist, North Jersey.

Believe it or not, it's been re-listed!

I have no room for it, but someone should snag it. OMG....