Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointer Options

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post

Shelix heads with all those little screws what does one do when thread because stretched or cross threaded in the middle of the head?
    Do you think they will last?
    So far they have - - that's one of the reasons so many have given up knives on planers and jointers for cutters.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel Eastland View Post
    So far they have - - that's one of the reasons so many have given up knives on planers and jointers for cutters.
    I admire your enthusiasm for Shelix technology.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I admire your enthusiasm for Shelix technology.
    I'm also have ethusiasm for smartphones over Dixie Cups and string.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

I'm also have ethusiasm for smartphones over Dixie Cups and string.
    This is a time of technology like a train rolling down the track scooping and scooping up new ideas and innovations.
    That doesn’t bother me at all.
    Its the dude in the last car shoveling out the best of what got us here today.
    And it’s certainly not cups and strings.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kalnasy View Post
    So I have done a lot of reading that the mobile base built into the newer Grizzly jointers, 858 included, is garbage and basically impossible to move. I wont move mine often but I will need to move it from time to time. Sounds like it isn't as bad as some are saying. If I can save the money on buying or building a mobile base that would be another positive for the 858 for me.
    I move it a bit in my shop but am trying to figure out where it can have a more or less permanent home so I don't have to move it. It is a heavy lift on one end of the table, to be sure, but a manageable one.

When I get it, I can easily setup the cabinet in the spot where it's to go, and have a neighbor with a car engine cherry-picker to set the top in place.
    One thing I really liked about the GO858 was that it arrived nearly fully assembled upright in its crate. The only real assembly step was swinging the control switch on its arm upright and bolting it into place. You don't need to set the table on the cabinet with this one. And I was able to get it out of the crate bottom on my own by lifting one end, swinging it sideways, then lifting the other end to set it on the floor.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Petersen View Post
    One thing I really liked about the GO858 was that it arrived nearly fully assembled upright in its crate. The only real assembly step was swinging the control switch on its arm upright and bolting it into place. You don't need to set the table on the cabinet with this one. And I was able to get it out of the crate bottom on my own by lifting one end, swinging it sideways, then lifting the other end to set it on the floor.
    That's good to know. If the table comes attached to the cabinet that's one major concern now vanquished! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    This is a time of technology like a train rolling down the track scooping and scooping up new ideas and innovations.
    That doesn’t bother me at all.
    Its the dude in the last car shoveling out the best of what got us here today.
    And it’s certainly not cups and strings.
    I'm sure that what the street sweepers following the elephants in the circus parade felt too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Petersen View Post

Could you please tell me the distance from the front of the table to the furthest point on the back? I've looked at the specs and it says 25" but I'd appreciate a verification.

I'm trying to determine exactly where I can place it in my shop and still have room in front to maneuver.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kalnasy View Post
    Hey matt,

So i have a cutech helical benchtop planer as well as a jet 1836 drumsander. I am just sick of my benchtop 6" jointer, doing any long board is an absolute pain.

And its funny about the helical head in the jointer because so many people say you have to have them, but I guess you bring up a good point, I could get by with a knife blade model because its going to be followed up in the planer any how for the faces.
    My productivity increased so much when I went to an 8 inch floor model Powermatic...it was unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Chris, consider something wider if you can find one used within your budget. Flattening boards is the most important use for a jointer prior to thicknessing and 8" can be limiting.
    Having a friend with a 24 inch jointer...has proven to be productive in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    I got an Oliver about 8 years ago. It does have the byrd head and I don't think I could go back. I don't just do edges on my 8 inch - I often flatten the face especially on rails and styles and find the helical a god-send for that. Those blades last a LONG time. Absolutely a great buy for me and the Oliver was competitively priced as a IWF end of show deal.
    That is a highly impressive machine. Love both the old and the new Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    FWIW, I would not expect an 8" jointer for cheap to show up anytime soon on Craiglist in the Ohio/Indian/Kentucky area. I've looked for years and not seen anything, though lots of 4" and 6" jointers, mostly rusted out old craftman. Lucked into an old 8" HF warrior which I bought for $200. (Dude was in from out of town cleaning out his father's shop, and I was there for the bandsaw) I held it for a year or and was happy enough with it, though the fence was terrible. I also managed to chip the knives about 3 boards after carefully sharpening and setting the blades. After that I swore to buy a decent jointer with a helixal head, and could see putting the money into the old Warrior.

Put it on Craigslist for $500 and my inbox overflowed.

Very happy with the G0490x, worth every penny.
    Quoted for truth....an 8 inch jointer will usually sell for hours around here.

I have a 6 inch jointer and wish sometimes I had an 8 inch but I have a small shop. Seems like you would want an 8 inch with the longest tables. I have a Delta 6 inch which works great. I have a good friend give me his Jet 6 inch jointer which has longer tables than the Delta. I am trying to move over to the Jet.

I like knives. They are easy to setup. I have a OneWay dial gauge. I think that's what it is called.
    Last edited by lee cox; 04-17-2019 at 1:18 PM.

Could you please tell me the distance from the front of the table to the furthest point on the back? I've looked at the specs and it says 25" but I'd appreciate a verification.
    I can confirm the 25" depth dimension. The actual measurement on the tool is about 24.25" but the furthest part to the back side is a handle for adjusting the fence. You'll need a bit of extra room behind it to grab the handle.