Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointer Options

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Petersen View Post
    I bought the Grizzly G0858 about six months ago and love it. Assembly was minimal and manageable by myself. The tables were flat and true out of the crate. The tables and fence are both quite solid. The unit is movable, but quite heavy. The longer tables make it much easier to joint longer boards. The spiral cutter head does, in fact, reduce noise tremendously. I had a concern before buying the unit about being able to adjust the cut depth with just the lever, but that's not been an issue at all. It offers very good control. Delivery was quick, too. I had mine in my shop within ten days of placing the order. I highly recommend it.
    So I have done a lot of reading that the mobile base built into the newer Grizzly jointers, 858 included, is garbage and basically impossible to move. I wont move mine often but I will need to move it from time to time. Sounds like it isn't as bad as some are saying. If I can save the money on buying or building a mobile base that would be another positive for the 858 for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I agree about the helical head, but with 2 caveats:

1: If you work a lot with highly figured wood...

2: If your DC system is marginal, a Shelix can help because the chips are much smaller & so easier to pull through the ducting.

Well, and 3: If you work a LOT, the Shelix will more than pay for itself at some point.
    I'll chime in with Allan. The idea that an insert head doesn't make sense because you're going to re-plane that surface anyway does not hold true in practice for me. Tear out is what got me looking at the insert heads, the money savings is what sealed the deal.

I would experience tear out, even with newly sharpened knives, that was deep enough that the amount of material left to be removed would not eliminate it. Murphy being alive and well, this happened most often on my most expensive material.

Based on my previous sharpening and replacement schedule, the insert head paid for itself about 8 years ago. I am a watchful consumer. An outfit that sells the original inserts was trying to attract a new tier of customers (smaller scale and home shops) and had a great price on a "set" of inserts for my machine so I picked one up about 4 years ago. I'll probably crack it open before the end of the year.

I'll also add that the mobile base on the G0490X is just 2 fixed steel wheels and a cam-dropped swivel steel wheel at the front. This has worked great for the small amounts that I have to move the jointer. I swivel it a bit for the occasional longer stock. The jointer sets in front of my horizontal wood storage so I do about the same move to access that area. No complaints but, I wouldn't want to roll it a dozen feet on a regular basis if my use-model required that.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-16-2019 at 8:46 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

3. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kalnasy View Post
    So I have done a lot of reading that the mobile base built into the newer Grizzly jointers, 858 included, is garbage and basically impossible to move. I wont move mine often but I will need to move it from time to time. Sounds like it isn't as bad as some are saying. If I can save the money on buying or building a mobile base that would be another positive for the 858 for me.
    I'm looking at the 858 and have heard similar reports about the difficulty some have had with moving it. But others have reported that, while it's heavy and somewhat cumbersome, it can be moved with minimum difficulty on a good concrete floor.

As I have a good level concrete shop floor (no cracks, dips, sloping drains, aggregate concrete, etc.) it should be fine for me. I have a spot for it against an interior wall where it will not necessitate moving except to occasionally service it and make adjustments.

When I get it, I can easily setup the cabinet in the spot where it's to go, and have a neighbor with a car engine cherry-picker to set the top in place.

If your floor currently supports other heavy power tools on mobile bases, the 858 will probably work for you.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kalnasy View Post
    I have the G0490X and occasionally have to shift it out of the way if cutting something wide on my table saw, as the jointer sits beside the out feed table. It moves easily on the relatively smooth concrete floor. For me it is more than satisfactory.

It did bang down on the floor when lowered initially, but that issue went away when I adjusted the feet to be closer to the floor.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I've got a G0490X, and the mobile base is adequate. My two complains are that the wheels point in the "wrong" direction, and that it pops off the swivel wheel pretty easily. By wrong direction, my unique use case is to store the jointer under a very high work bench, and I want to pull it out when in use, slide it back when not in use, for which I need the wheels to point side to side, not front to back. As for the swivel wheel popping off, I have a terrible concrete floor: it's rough, and has multiple ugly joints. If the swivel does NOT pop off from all the bouncing around on the floor I am able to push the jointer anywhere in the shop, as long as I do so carefully.

To fix the side to side wheeling problem I'm likely going to build a new mobile base. If this was not the issue, I would be fine with it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the older jointers like the 490X have a different mobile system than the new. The new looks like wheels are built in underneath and you lift the end with rubber feet up and 'walk' the jointer where you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kalnasy View Post

It's not great, but it can be moved. The issue is that there are no swivel wheels. It rolls great in a straight line, but if you need to make a turn you have to scoot one end. It's not that hard to scoot it, but if your situation is such that you'll need to move it very often, like after every shop session to allow a car to park or something, then it might be a consideration. The wheels are also very small diameter and there's not much ground clearance, so it is not going to make it over much of an obstacle. It moves fine on the smooth concrete you find in most garages, but on a rougher surface with large expansion joints I expect it would get hung up a lot.

The 848 has wheels on each corner. They are secured with 2 locking knobs on the cabinet base below the infeed table. The 490X has an outboard lever-operated foot pedal to lift the cabinet.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Well 858 it is. I happened upon a 10% off coupon for Grizzly. Can't beat that.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kalnasy View Post
    Well 858 it is. I happened upon a 10% off coupon for Grizzly. Can't beat that.

Very often people, when posting a potential purchase for woodworking tools, look for a consensus of popularity of a certain brand or model and buy according to someone else's criteria.

You, on the other hand, were looking for negative feedback on the specific tool, in this case the Grizzly 858 jointer.

Frankly, there was none. There were opinions as to what you "should" get, but those were just opinions without the real knowledge only you possess. You weren't swayed.

So you wisely followed your own research and bought what you wanted.

Good for you. Please let us know how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel Eastland View Post
    Very often people, when posting a potential purchase for woodworking tools, look for a consensus of popularity of a certain brand or model and buy according to someone else's criteria.

You, on the other hand, were looking for negative feedback on the specific tool, in this case the Grizzly 858 jointer.

Frankly, there was none. There were opinions as to what you "should" get, but those were just opinions without the real knowledge only you possess. You weren't swayed.

So you wisely followed your own research and bought what you wanted.

Good for you. Please let us know how it works for you.
    Thank you! Look, I have some Jet equipment in my shop, I have a brand new Grizzly table saw I am putting together this week, and I have quite a few festool items. I don't care if it is made in taiwan or germany or in america as long as the tool does its desired function properly and reliably. I easily could have spent a few hundred more on the jet spiral 8", but its bed is only 72" long vs the 0858 is 76". I know that sounds crazy to make a big deal over a few inches of bed length, but my main issue with my benchtop jointer now is entirely bed length, so if I can get as much as possible to make sure I won't have an issue indexing a longer board, then sure!

I will report back probably in a few weeks as I assume early next week it will arrive and then spend time getting it set up and comfortable with it. I am moving into my new shop hopefully this weekend that I have been building over the past 4 months so I cannot wait to get to cutting, gluing, and finishing again.

Jointers might be simple machines but the difference between a good jointer and a great one that’s very accurate is very small.
    Putting one on a mobile base is not a good idea moving the machine around from the tables is also bad practice.
    Once you goof up the alignment on a lite duty machine it will be difficult to get it back.
    Shelix Head is money better spent on your planer.
    Learning how to pick wood,read grain direction,set good hss jointer knives are part of what keep woodworking fun.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Learning how to pick wood,read grain direction,set good hss jointer knives are part of what keep woodworking fun.
    Good Luck
    Well said.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Not according to the man who decided his money was better spent on his new jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel Eastland View Post
    Not according to the man who decided his money was better spent on his new jointer.
    Thats true, there’s nothing wrong when someone wants to pay for their truth it’s a small fee in the end.

I would like to point out gib Head jointers have a longer proven history of success. I wager close to a hundred years my jointer gib Head is over 60 years or cutting wood.

Shelix heads with all those little screws what does one do when thread because stretched or cross threaded in the middle of the head?
    Do you think they will last?

I payed my fee I already know.
    Aj