Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointer Options

i bought a 6 3/4" makita hand planer for $60 at a garage sale and with a few pieces of wood, turned it into a jointer. with a planer, why do you need a wide jointer?

i also built a router table that i can plane burls up to 3' x 3' x 12" with my router. with that and a smaller jointer, you dont need that wide of a jointer.

3. Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    i also built a router table that i can plane burls up to 3' x 3' x 12" with my router. with that and a smaller jointer, you dont need that wide of a jointer.
    You may not. I do.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

4. Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    i bought a 6 3/4" makita hand planer for $60 at a garage sale and with a few pieces of wood, turned it into a jointer. with a planer, why do you need a wide jointer?
    For boards wider than 6 3/4 inches.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel Eastland View Post
    For boards wider than 6 3/4 inches.
    i use the jointer for the edges of boards up to 5". i use my 13" planer for anything wider. if i need to square pieces larger than that i use a router table i built that can do 3' x 3' x 12"+ thick. total cost for all - less than $500. use your brain instead of your pocketbook.

6. Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    i use the jointer for the edges of boards up to 5". i use my 13" planer for anything wider. if i need to square pieces larger than that i use a router table i built that can do 3' x 3' x 12"+ thick. total cost for all - less than $500. use your brain instead of your pocketbook.
    Sorry. We all can't be the self-styled genius you think you are.

So... kinda related to some of the recommendations to "go bigger"... been cruising CL, knowing full well that there probably won't be anything 'local' but with Seattle and Portland a few hours away, plenty of bigger stuff shows up on a somewhat regular basis.

Most recently, I see a 16" 10 HP 480 volt 3 phase machine for sale... for $800. I've read about people using inverters to run 'big iron' on 220v shop circuits... never made sense or appealed to me before, but dang, this almost makes me wonder if it'd be worth it?

First time poster.

Chris, I bought the Grizzly 12” Jointer a few months ago and I love it. Not trying to sway you either way, just letting you know about my experience. I had no problems setting it up and love the extra table length and width. Good luck!
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." Henry Ford

Sorry. We all can't be the self-styled genius you think you are.
    since i can do with my router table the same thing you want to do with a wide jointer, then i must be a genius. there are more than 1 way to skin a cat.

i can do longer wood also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    since i can do with my router table the same thing you want to do with a wide jointer, then i must be a genius. there are more than 1 way to skin a cat.
    I anxiously await news of your Macarthur fellowship.

I anxiously await news of your Macarthur fellowship.
    they told me i was over qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    Jim, I'm sure that how you have things setup works fine for you. But we are all individuals with different needs and wants.

A jointer isn't just for edges. It's also to flatten lumber before it gets thicknessed in the planer. Actually, that's my primary use as I rarely edge joint on the jointer since Ihave a sliding saw that I can straight-line material after it's flat and thicknesses. I buy wide lumber and also occasionally want/need to send odd-sized/shaped things across the knives. I have 13.68"/350mm of width available with my particular Jointer/Plainer combo and often wish I would have purchased the 16"/410mm wide model for more capacity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jim, I'm sure that how you have things setup works fine for you. But we are all individuals with different needs and wants.

A jointer isn't just for edges. It's also to flatten lumber before it gets thicknessed in the planer. Actually, that's my primary use as I rarely edge joint on the jointer since Ihave a sliding saw that I can straight-line material after it's flat and thicknesses. I buy wide lumber and also occasionally want/need to send odd-sized/shaped things across the knives. I have 13.68"/350mm of width available with my particular Jointer/Plainer combo and often wish I would have purchased the 16"/410mm wide model for more capacity.

i understand. im just saying that if i cant afford to buy a 16" jointer, i can figure out another way to do the same thing. did you see the picture of the burl i did? if that was a 12' x 2' x 3" piece i could do the same.
    Last edited by jim carter; 05-02-2019 at 7:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    Not exactly the way to make friends around here.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night