Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, it still is woodworking, right?

Ok...just picked up a new "rig" at Blue Borg...along with a set of suspenders....plan is to work around the showers, next week...if it starts to rain, I can haul the powertools back inside, and drop the belt full of nails, screws, and carpenter tools inside the house until the rain stops....

Can't do Carpenter work, with a proper carpenters belt, right? keeps toys out of the mud. Delivery is set for between 0800 and 1200 hrs Monday morning. Anyone want to come over and help out?
    new tool belt.JPGnew tool bely, with suspenders.JPG
    Took almost 1/2 an hour, to get the suspenders adjusted to where the belt is low enough to use
    When this project finally is completed...I intend to pull a cork..
    bottle of Scotch, with cork.JPG
    And have a wee nip of..
    Bottle of Scotch.JPG
    12 yr auld J&B J.E.T. Scotch....and will share with the help....if they want...

stay tuned
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-20-2019 at 8:46 PM.

I did find a site, that will take the measurements and calculate how to cut the stringers for the stairs one wants to build...I even printed the "plan" out...
    Porch Project, stair striner plan 1.JPG
    This lays out the cuts for the stringers....I'll need to "fudge" things a bit...top of deck is 18" above the ground....calculator will only go down to 20"...hmm inches, divide by 4....instead of 5" rise, I'll set a 4-1/2" rise....for two "old people" with bad knees...The site also makes a plan for the finished steps..
    Porch Project. stair stringers, with treads.JPG
    Top step will be flush with the decking....will place handrails on both sides of the steps, and match them into the railings around the deck...

Might take a week to get this done..allowing for the weather...April in Ohio, ya know

Stay tuned...Lumber arrives Monday morning...work start as so as the truck is unloaded...Pictures as I go?

Spent some time, clearing the work area...
    Porch Project, removed the old tread.JPG
    Which included removing the old treated wood tread....3 tapcons...stripped the heads...crowbar to just pull the tread up, off the step and the tapcons...then a hammer to snap the offending screws off...tread will be over in the staging area...
    Porch Project, staging area.JPG
    To help keep the "new" wood off the ground...one corner will be a bit easier to do, now..
    Porch Project, back corner.JPG
    I can run the joist a bit long, and use a joist hanger to start towards the outside corner....where a 4 x 4 post will be..
    Porch Project, post base.JPG
    Right on that old concrete block. area behind all of this mess..
    Porch Project, cleaned out.JPG
    Used to be over a foot deep in leaves, planters, and just plain junk...racked it all out to bare ground.
    Porch Project, needs moved.JPG
    Need help to move that planter out of the way....1st joist will go right along this edge of the porch...have even hauled the old B&D Work Mate out of the shop....and a few clamps..

Waiting on the truck, right now....will have to unload it by hand....no room for the forklift to get in here....
    Stay tuned

Lumber and other goodies has arrived! have to sort through the stacks of stuff, and pull out just what I need to get started...AFTER Lunch...

Film @ 2300hrs...I hope...

You’re going to be stubbing your toes on those steps. The rise & tread combined should be 18” or so. With a five inch rise the steps will be awkward.

well...MOST of the lumber arrived...was missing five 4 x 4 x 10' posts....While waiting on Lowes to bring those out to the house..
    Porch Project, lumber arrived.JPG
    Sorted through, until I found the parts I was needing to start with...had also cleaned the work area out a bit
    Porch Project, cleaned out work area.JPG
    Old tread was removed..tapcons were stripped, crowbar to lift the tread up, then snap the blue screws off..
    Porch Project, back corner.JPG
    Leaf blower to clean the leaves and dirt away...1st joist...cut for length, cut-off standing in for a post..
    Porch Project, 1st joist.JPG
    Then across the old step, the turn the corner, again..
    Porch Project, 2 more done.JPG
    Then turn the corner again..
    Porch Project, more posts and joists.JPG
    About then, the 4 x 4s arrived...10' were cut into 5' lengths...more joists, with hangers....about the time we turned the next corner,
    Porch Project, Boss is watching.JPG
    The Boss shows up to keep an eye on things....
    Porch project, last post for the day.JPG
    Got to about this point...decided 6 hours was just about enough, for one day....put the toys away, tarps over the lumber, blocks onto the tarps...

Sitting here, having a "Cold One" back is sore, knees are creaky, and feet hurt....been a long day...
    Stay tuned, IF it doesn't rain tomorrow..I might actually get something done..

Steven ,the luxury standard for high quality stairs for a very long time was 5 and 1/2 by 12. But now many think 8 By 9
    is "correct". Enjoy your luxury!

Depends on how the old knees like the steps...trying for 4-1/2" x 11-1/2"...only have to go up just under 18"...The Boss has trouble getting over curbs and onto sidewalks...do not think I'll be doing any risers...just treads.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I did find a site, that will take the measurements and calculate how to cut the stringers for the stairs one wants to build...I even printed the "plan" out...
    Porch Project, stair striner plan 1.JPG
    This lays out the cuts for the stringers....I'll need to "fudge" things a bit...top of deck is 18" above the ground....calculator will only go down to 20"...hmm inches, divide by 4....instead of 5" rise, I'll set a 4-1/2" rise....for two "old people" with bad knees...The site also makes a plan for the finished steps..
    Porch Project. stair stringers, with treads.JPG
    Top step will be flush with the decking....will place handrails on both sides of the steps, and match them into the railings around the deck...

Might take a week to get this done..allowing for the weather...April in Ohio, ya know

Stay tuned...Lumber arrives Monday morning...work start as so as the truck is unloaded...Pictures as I go?
    In for the build...

Better hurry, you are missing out on the Cold Ones....
    tasks for today, besides replacing a computer monitor that chose today to go blank screen..

Got that fixed, got Lunch fixed...then hauled all the toys back outside....had to put in blocking along the front of the porch...one..
    Porch Project, blocking installed.JPG
    and..
    Porch Project, tomorrow's tasks.JPG
    Two..hauled the helpers outside, too..
    Project Project, helpers.JPG
    Well, I can't haul the shop's workbench out here...

Blocking installed...knees are aching (had trouble walking two laps in Wallie World..) Started laying deck boards..
    Porch Project, decking started.JPG
    Instead of notching the first board, I just cut pieces to fit between the posts...boards are a bit long...built up a pile of short cut-offs..
    Porch Project, cut-offs.JPG
    Wonder IF I could "pave" the sidewalk?
    Got about half way across..
    Porch Project, halfway.JPG
    Took a Gatorade break...getting very stiff and sore...decided to try to reach the next post..
    Porch Project, quitting time.JPG
    1830 hrs....quitting time! pick up all the toys, and haul them back in....

Last few planks, needed a tapcon into the concrete porch....then we could pull that plank straight, and secure the other end. Planks are laid down tight to each other, figure they will shrink a bit when they dry out.

Finish the decking tomorrow, weather permitting....then layout some stair stringers...will need to bring up a handsaw to finish those cuts...
    Stay tuned...cussing level is about.....day2 at Marine Boot Camp....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-23-2019 at 7:42 PM.

I don't know where the "peak" of Ohio is but it sounds like a long ways from Florida so I won't be able to make it. Seems like an interesting project and should help the curb appeal of the house.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I've found that rise and run that totals 17 to 18 inches, as you see often quoted (or at least, something close to that), works fine for rises of 7 to 7-1/2 inches of rise. That leaves a run of 10-1/2 to 11" usually. I have found that as the rise goes down from that, the run needs to get progressively longer, for the steps to walk comfortably. For 4-1/2 inches of rise, I might go to 15 to 16 inches of run, depending on how many steps there are-less for more steps, and longer run for fewer steps.

I know of one set of steps, that rise about nine feet on an old house, that are 6 inches rise, and 11-1/2 inches of run, and they uncomfortable for almost anyone I've seen go up them.

There is another 1810, that we are going to use for donor parts, that has two staircases that are 10 inches of rise, and 8 inches of run. Not only are they uncomfortable to walk, but pretty dangerous.

On our dog porch, I built the steps with 5 inches or rise, to make it easy for puppies, with 13-1/2 inches of run. I've never seen any person that thinks they are anything unusual to walk up, and down, or have to even think about how they walk.

In any case, when any steps are done, every rise should end up exactly the same ( have to figure with whatever the tread thickness is, and the bottom rise will be different than the rest for cutting the stringers, since it will only have to deal with the thickness of one tread), and a straightedge should be able to hit every step nose, including the top one. My main tools for laying out stringers are a framing square, square gauges, and a long level. The long level is to figure out exactly what total rise you have, and to check the finished steps.

Started in about 11:00 this morning...hauled all the toys back out....added a couple "nailers" near that down spout....needed to notch around a post, too
    Attachment 408584
    Install this one, and then kept going...tapcons back at the wall,
    Attachment 408585
    two at the far end...come back out, clamp the other end in tight...
    Attachment 408586
    Then go back and do the second line of tapcons, and then the rest of the wood screws...about here, I ran out of those fancy green painted screws....had a few of my own to use..
    Attachment 408587
    Notched the last long 5/4 x 6 board to go around the downspout (will elbow it down..) and added the short sections...decking complete! back is killing me
    Finally dug out the 2 x 12 for the deck stringers...
    Attachment 408588
    One wet and HEAVY bast...., almost too much for one person to get off the ground, and onto the saw horses... brought out the square and gauges...and the plan..and made a few saw cuts..
    Attachment 408589
    Hmmm, yes that is a handsaw sitting there...got the rest of the cuts done....test fitted to the deck.....not working...cut the skinny bottom step off...second try?
    Attachment 408590
    Much closer...went back and lower the first 2 steps...then the rain started in...haul all the toys...
    Attachment 408591
    And get this back out of the raindrops...decided to stop for a while, waiting on the rain to go away..

Need to cut the other 2 stringers to match the final first one....then add a 2x across the back where they attach to the deck joists...then add the treads.. IF the weather allows..1100 to 1500 hrs....4 hours of working by myself....have a pair "Cold Ones" chilling out in the fridge....

Stay tuned...there may be overtime, today
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-24-2019 at 6:40 PM. Reason: where is my photos?

Tom, one thing I've noticed is that historic houses that are open to tourists often don't let people upstairs. But fine
    houses with 5and 1/2 by 12 stairs are usually open. I think the key to finding them comfortable is just walk .Forget about
    climbing. People who grow old in a place they like often have to move out of a house with 8/9. It's a mystery to me how
    people who want the newest home amenities accept the cheapest stairs as required by code. I think they are owed a
    couple of minutes of education .

I quit building new houses in 2007, for various reasons, including today's buyers.