Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, it still is woodworking, right?

WHERE IS MY PHOTOS????
    try one more..before I ...
    Porch Project, stairs done.JPG
    Lets see IF this works....

Tom, I read all your posts and was not giving you advice. Only saying that you know such things exist and were used.
    And that some code minimums are often represented as specific requirements instead of MINIMUM requirements.

What worked out for this porch rebuild..
    The Boss, who has trouble stepping onto a sidewalk's curb from a parking place....approved of these steps...as she tried them out....My son and I combine for just over 500 pounds in weight, were both standing on this....

Taking a "Rain Day" today....letting this old body rest up a bit....mid May, I turn 66...

Glad the design worked as intended Steven. There is more thought that goes into good steps than the majority realize.

Mel, I didn't think otherwise-just adding my 2 cents in case anyone gets something out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    What worked out for this porch rebuild..
    The Boss, who has trouble stepping onto a sidewalk's curb from a parking place....approved of these steps...as she tried them out....My son and I combine for just over 500 pounds in weight, were both standing on this....

Taking a "Rain Day" today....letting this old body rest up a bit....mid May, I turn 66...
    I turn 63 on Memorial Day so I get the rain day concept. Injured y back a coupe of weeks ago and I was feeling better the first of this week. Two days now of bending over the table saw and the workbench and I don't feel so good any more. Sucks getting too old to enjoy the things you like to do.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Could barely make the walk to the back of Wallie World, today....knees were creaky, acting like a nail was inside...wasn't. Picked up a pair of saw blades, that might work better than what I had..
    Porch Project, new vs old blade.JPG
    Somehow, I doubt IF that old metal cutting blade will work, cutting these
    Porch Project, level line 2.JPG
    As I have a bunch of these sort of cuts, to get all the posts down to the "bottom of top rail line"...be there all day, knawing away.....Sawzall?
    Porch Project, Sawzall.JPG
    Years ago, I picked this ( with it case and blades) for $10...just needed to replace the blade clamp...rain coming through, today...doubt IF I'll try this beasty out today.

When I went out to the deck today, to lay out all the level lines on the posts...I was dodging sprinkles...bring the level up to a post...more sprinkles...got all the posts marked, and went back inside...and the rain stopped. will see how tomorrow goes, rain-wise...
    Stay tuned.

Got a break from the showers this evening...decided to give the Makita a try....first post was shaking almost too much...decided to add the top rail for the spindles...to steady the posts..clamped first, then came back and added the 3 screws per post...even laid a 2 x on top...
    Porch Project, leveled up 2.JPG
    Turns out that 2 x 6 is too narrow...so, 2 x 8s will get used...the three post in the front were next...this time, both 2 x 4s were installed...and the sawzall to cut a line..
    Porch Project, leveled up 1.JPG
    was soaked clear through, and not from rain...Makita was getting warm out front on the grip....was getting dark, anyway...packed the toys up and called it a day

Trying to remember the spacing needed between spindles....thinking it is 2" between each spindle? still have across the back to build a railing at...

If these Monsoons will go away for a couple days, I might get this thing done...

Stay tuned

806E737A-6DF5-4B29-AA3F-FC3952E025DF.jpg

Here is the spacing requirements for the spindles

So...IF I could use a 2 x 4 as a spacer, that would work? 3-1/2" between 2 x 2 square spindles....

IF the Monsoons will just drift elsewhere for a few days....I MIGHT get this job done....even these old knees want the rain to go away...

Finger got poked this morning, Blood-thinner check up.

A spacer never works out exactly right. I step it off with dividers until it works out right. It doesn't really take that long, and probably even faster than trial and error.

Hmmm..
    Porch Project, front spindles done.JPGPorch Project, back spindles done.JPGPorch Project, spindle spacer.JPG
    Seems to do okay.....ran out of spindles, was to tired to grab another and bring it over to the porch...
    Used up one bundle of the spindles...
    Porch Project, south side details.JPG
    So..south side is completed..
    Porch Project, south side done.JPG
    So, when it warms up in the morning, all that needs to be done is a handrail ( or two?) for the steps....BTW, Mailcarrier gave them a tryout, today...and liked them.

Details for around that downspout at the back of the porch....
    Porch Project, details, back corner.JPG
    6" structural wood screws hold the bottom rail to the joist under the decking...and a 4 x 4 stubby. Stubby holds the top rails.
    Front corner needed to be mitered..
    Porch Project, front mitered corner.JPG
    Makes a nice place for potted plants...

Stay tuned..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-26-2019 at 7:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm..
    Porch Project, front spindles done.JPGPorch Project, back spindles done.JPGPorch Project, spindle spacer.JPG
    Seems to do okay.....ran out of spindles, was to tired to grab another and bring it over to the porch...
    Skillfully executed, well crafted, by golly I like it.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nice work Steven!

Weather was nasty yesterday...tried out the DeWalt router, with a BIG round-over bit...between rain showers
    Porch Project, Test drive.JPGPorch Project, BIG roundover bit.JPGPorch Project, Router results.JPG
    Well, weather cleared out this afternoon...drag out the toys, including the mitersaw and stand..
    Porch Project, Mitre saw stand.JPG
    Once I found out the angles for the stair railing..
    Porch Project, angle finders.JPG
    came out to 19 degrees....71 degrees on the scale..
    Porch Project, angle set,19 degrees.JPG
    I can cut the 2 x 4 top rail at both ends, install it, mark a 4 x 4 post for height, while it sits on a concrete paver....circular saw to trim the 4 x 4 to match the rail...

Spindles...needed angled at the top to match the rail...back to the mitre saw...spacings are the same as the rest of the spindles..
    Porch Project, Ballisters started.JPG
    Got these all installed...decided to use a 5/4 x 6 deck board as the cap rail...
    Porch Project, stair railing done.JPG
    4 x 4 laying on the deck? I beveled all four sides of the top ( think pyramid )stood it up onto a paver, plumbed it up....now have a tall post for the house numbers to go on. had to install solar deck lights...but...a week to complete a deck. Rain days got in the way. the Boss tried the front steps out, using the handrail....LOVED it.

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up did this plan....being called upon again..back porch step needs "something" done....back to the drawing board...

stay tuned, honey-do projects never stop...

Well, Punchlist is about completed...So, how about a few photos of the completed project..
    Porch Project post. front view.JPG
    The view coming up the sidewalk from the street..
    Porch Project Post, front view 2.JPG
    The view from the driveway/alley to the north of the house...
    Porch Project Post, new steps.JPG
    The main reason for this project, was so the Boss could use the front steps, as her knees are worse off than mine...
    Porch Project Post, back corner.JPG
    The view of the back corner, as you walk up the steps...
    Porch Project Post, view from the front door.JPG
    And the view from the front door....about 6 working days to build...average of 5 hours per day...getting slow in me old age...

Thanks for following along...