Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, it still is woodworking, right?

back porch has a "step" down that needs to be made safer, and drier....ice tends to cover the existing one....Step is just a 2 x10, sitting on a few cinder blocks..that happen to be sinking into the dirt....

Will get a couple pictures, weather permitting, and the see what the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up does with it....Also need a better place to set the roll-around garbage bin...maybe up level with the top of the back gate...to make it easier to load in the trash bags....oh, and another hand rail for the Boss to use.

stay tuned...Monsoons may end later this week...I hope..

dodging rain drops....but, this is what needs worked on...soon.
    Back Porch project, start up.JPG
    As this is the way to where we park the van....may change with the new front porch, but this mess needs fixed...will clear away ..
    Back Porch project, digging to do.JPG
    All of this down to level ground, may add some gravel, too. Stuff that didn't get thrown away, will be thrown out...don't have a trackhoe, so shovels and a wood handle hoe will have to do. White wall is from a garage, that the Landlord has stuffed full of his junk. In the other direction...
    Back Porch project. window....JPG
    Is a window to the old coal bunker room....unused....may stop right at the right edge?
    Have enough leftover treated 2 x 8s and 2 x6s to build a "box" frame out from the concrete. Will tap-con to the concrete, and support the outer edges with blocks...depending on how how the replacement step is..may build a lower second step....Handrail will be over by that window...area next to the garage will be a "landing area" for the trash can.

Now...IF the Monsoons will stop for a few days....I might be able to get this done?

Punch List for the front porch.....includes a new screendoor ( old one has too many issues) and a gate, to keep the fleabags from wandering off the front porch. have installed "step lights" so you can see where to step at night.

Forgot to pick up the gravel and the cinder blocks for the back gate. gate itself will get redone....throwing out the green, moldy, junky gate and railing. going with a railing more like the front porch, and the new gate will look just like the new railing...other than the cuts where it separates from the new railing.

I want at least a full day, to replace the existing front screen door with a new solid vinyl door....need to adjust the trim around it, for a decent fit.

Still have the southside of the backporch Gazebo to close off...and, this fall, will add a plywood (1/2" thick) sheathing under the canvass top.

honey-do list seem to grow faster than I can complete each job....

Roh-Kay, Raggy....Had to use a couple hand planes...
    Screen Door install, planes.JPG
    To trim back the jamb a bit...
    Screen Door install, jamb work.JPG
    As the jamb had a lot of "waves" to it....now it is straight and flat all the way down the latch side...
    Screen Door install, fitted.JPG
    have swept away 95% of the shavings...but the new screen door fits!
    Screen Door install, done.JPG
    And last night, I changed out the porch light to a motion sensor light.
    Forgot the stone stuff, today...wasn't any room in the van, anyway. maybe tomorrow?

Picked up a "railing" to be made into the gates...may get a second one, and demo the back gate altogether....at least it will match the front.

Having a "Cold One" right now...as I am soaked, and not from rain, for once...

Stay tuned..

First, a bit of site prep....then the demo on Sunday...

Site prep..
    Back Porch Project, cleaned out.JPG
    All cleaned out....used two hand tools....a rake, and a hoe....wood handled, too...underneath that trash can, there IS a concrete "step"....will use that to rest a joist on...Window has a "well" in front of it..
    Back Porch Project, window box.JPG
    Will rest another joist on this....Old gate will be torn out...and this to replace it..
    Back Porch Project, new railing.JPG
    This is 72" long. perfect fit as the new railing/gate. 2 saw cuts...to make part of it a swinging gate....that when closed, looks like just a railing. Need to park the van out front, as this spot will be closed for use, while the rebuild is getting done...picked up a few blocks, and a few bags of gravel, today...getting close to starting this little project up...
    Stay tuned....BTW, I also need to build a gate for the front porch, to keep the fleabags front walking off...

Steven,

Will that 72” gate be opened often? If so you will need to do something for o keep it from sagging. I have a Somali gate and had to add a wire with a turnbuckle that runs from the high point of the hinge side diagonally to the low point on the other side of the gate. If you are interested I can send a picture when I get home this afternoon.

The "opening" part of the gate will be about 36" or so.

Also, I have to build a gate for the front porch....and have it match the look of the front railing...

Right now..it is pouring down rain....can't even unload the van of the blocks and bags of stones....Rain Day, again...

Yard sale this morning..NADA worth picking up. Checked the radar, had a few hours before the next batch of rain arrives....hauled a few toys out front...
    Front Gate install, saw bench.JPG
    Set up a saw bench...needed 4 pieces of 2 x 4, mitered on the ends ( didn't have time for the Stanley Mitre Box set up) to build a frame..
    Front Gate install, frame.JPG
    needs a little adjusting....added the spindles, one screw top and one below...tried a test fit..
    Front Gate install, test fir.JPG
    Hmmmm. bottom corner, latch side (right side) was a tad sticky, too..hand plane to remove the stickyness...
    Front Gate install, final fitting.JPG
    Turnbuckle to remove the sagginess..Hinges are on the left, gate swings in, latch on the right. needed a bit of clean up, when done..
    Front Gate install, clean up.JPG
    Shavings..both wood, and from a planter that got in the way....time for a cold one...maybe tomorrow, I can start on the back porch?
    Still woodworking....stay tuned..

(gate is to keep the resident fleabags on the porch...if they aren't on the porch, gate can stay opened...)Almost forgot...Tread lights were added the other day..
    Front Gate install, tread lights.JPG
    So you can see where to step...

Some time back I was looking for some hanger bolts in Menards.
    One of the employees walked up and the conversation went like this:

Employee : Can I help you find something?
    Me: Well, I'm just trying to find the hanger bolts.
    Employee: Hanger bolts? (confused look)
    Me: Yeah, they look like a lag bolt only one end is threaded instead of having a hex head.
    Employee: uh... What are you trying to hang? (with a straight face)
    Me: ... I'll just look around.

This ends this post....as someone else has deleted a bunch of replies I made....then there is that thing about photos in the one post....getting a bit tired of that....

Yes, I am indeed a Contributor.....

Close the gate....
    Front Gate install, final fitting.JPG
    Shut the door....Screen Door install, done.JPG

been fun....

Steven, there have been NO post deletions in this thread.

Is it possible that the missing pictures in post 28 was a glitch on your end? The other 82 attachments uploaded without problems.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Was zero glitch on my end...and this wasn't the first time this has happened to photos I post.....about the 5th time.....yet, I haven't done anything different. Photos are always resized to fit here...every last one of them. Always post the same way....for the last few years.

Missing posts are now back? Where were they this morning?
    Test..
    Back Gate install, gate works.JPG
    New gate for the back of the house...and, when it is closed...
    Back Gate install, outside view.JPG
    What you will see from the alleyway...

I don't know what happened to the missing pictures. There's nothing abnormal that I can see on this end.

As I said earlier, there are no staff deleted posts in this thread. No editing of any kind.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-06-2019 at 1:49 AM. Reason: added "staff"

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Bruce, Steven may have been upset about some images in another thread, "How Many Handplanes Do You Have?," that may have gone missing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, I just looked at that thread. There has not been any deleations or editing in it as well.

Andy Rooney