Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Well, it still is woodworking, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Jim, I just looked at that thread. There has not been any deleations or editing in it as well.
    Steven may have thought he posted some that didn't show up. His last post in that thread is the only thing that comes to mind as to why he is upset.

It is post #54:

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Would appear that I am not allowed to show some of mine in action....
    Attachment 409310
    Fine...will go elsewhere...
    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Try this one more time....been a busy 2 days...
    back gate has been made..
    Back Gate install, outside view.JPG
    Yes, there is a gate there...
    Back Gate install, gate works.JPG
    Took most of Sunday afternoon....demo the old mess, installed the new...picked a turnbuckle up today, a box of screws, 6 spindles, and a pair of 2 x 4 x 8' boards...build a box...
    Back Porch steps, build-a-box 1.JPG
    Tap-con to the slab...bit of gravel and some pavers...add the treads..
    Back Porch steps, first box done.JPG
    Dump three more bags of gravel...break a block to make more pavers...build a second box, and add the treads...the add a handrail...
    Back Porch steps..completed.JPG
    Treads have a bit of "fall", so water will run off at the ends...having a Cold One, right now...may have earned it, today...

Ok...a few details...when the gate is opened..
    Back Porch project, hinge detail.JPG

Note the grain details. When closed up
    Back Porch project, gate closed.JPG
    Even though there is an inch missing, the grain still lines up...and the turnbuckle?
    Back Porch project, inside of gate...JPG
    is a rod style. 2 screws at each end....3/8" wrench ( i think) to tighten until the top is level, and free of sag...

Raked out the spot for the trashcan to sit, so it will sit level....added a few bags of "River Pebbles" to provide a base for it...
    Back Porch project, 2.JPG
    And cover up them HUGE stones to make walking easier on the feet. Ground slopes away...as we are on a hillside.
    Looks a bit better than what used to be here....and is a bit safer to use. And, I still got to do a bit of woodworking, to boot.

Heavy rains came through today......steps stayed fairly dry...and did not get slippery.

Norway Maple in the side yard...is adding "layers" of seeds all over the front porch. Checked the boxed around downspout.....works as designed....no rain water on the deck from it.

Next up? have to close off the south end of the gazebo....and get rid of those old shower curtains Boss was using there...will pick up a 4 x 4 post, after a few yard sales in the morning....right now, I'm having 2 fingers of J&B 12 yr Scotch....

Not a cloud in the sky, this morning.....maybe after 2nd Breakfast, I can cut a 4 x 4 x 8' post down to Gazebo size.....and notch one end....have the notch match the metal frame, maybe.....once both eyes wake up. 1st Breakfast is pills and a Mountain Dew...may go out and renew the tags on the van...that time of year, again..they expire after tomorrow.

Have to save the cut-offs from the 4 x 4....lamp posts. Cut apart at about 19-20 degrees, to match the stair railings. have some longer 2x scraps....will try to build a box for flowers...and add to the stair railing on the back porch...will see how the day goes....

Crosscut..
    Post work, crosscut 1.JPG
    Laid out for a notch..
    Post work, notch layout.JPG
    Handsaw for the crosscut..didn't do to well as a rip saw....circular saw for the rip cuts.
    Post work, notched.JPG
    needed a bit of clean up..
    Post work, notch clean up.JPG
    Then install the post..
    Post work, post install 1.JPG
    Plywood panels will enclose this end...post is centered as it will take a couple panels to span 10' wide, by 7' tall.
    Post work, post install 2.JPG
    Once the post was plumb...Gazebo is also being tap-conned to the slab....
    Now, about those cut-offs?
    Post work, lamp post 1.JPG
    One end is 20 degrees...another such mini-post is cut at 19 degrees...
    Post work, lamp post 2 install.JPG
    One for the front....the other for the back porch steps railing.

busy morning...stay tuned...

Blog Entries
    Steven congratulations on successfully completing such a practical and well done project! Entryway stairs, porch, gate etc. something everyone uses every day and I'm sure you and yours will really enjoy using them on a daily basis. Thanks for taking the time to share and working all the pictures.

Can you discard me to try something similar, although I am intimidated because I don't know anything about construction – what are the "tap con" that you mention for attaching wood to concrete? Every time I've ever tried to drill a hole in concrete it's been a disaster - takes forever with lots of effort and in the end isn't something I think I can put a threaded bolt in – any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Tap-con is a brand of concrete screw....comes with it's own masonry drill bit. usually takes a hammer drill to drill the hole. Bit is sized to the shank diameter of the screw. You also have to clear out the dust in the hole, first, so the screw will enter the hole.....a hammer type of drill/driver also is used to drive the screw home into the hole.

Used to use these by the pound, when I worked as a carpenter on a concrete form crew. Hammer drill I have been using is from Harbor Freight. Hilti also makes a good drill, but takes a different bit than the one the Tap-cons come with.

Redhead anchor bolts take their own drill and drill bit....you also need to blow out the dust in the hole for these to fit in properly. Package will tell which size drill bit is required.
    Unlike tap-cons, the anchor bolts can not be removed, once they are in the hole....either they are cut off, or, just driven on down flush....To insert the anchor bolts, you run the nut all the way to the top of the threads, so you are hammering on the nut, and not the bolt. Protects the end of the threads, that way.

A temporary way to attach to a slab....drill a hole, use a 16 penny spike, and a short length of form wire...set both into the hole, and hammer the spike home...usually on fresh, day old slabs, like footers...where a 2 x 4 base is used to rest wall forms on. Called plates, these allow the forms to be nailed down, and then removed after the walls are poured/placed.

When you next go to the local BORG....go to the hardware section, and ask about either Anchor bolts, or Tap Con screws.

A couple of intrusions in the Dungeon Shop.....first, a BIG rain storm came through this area of Ohio....some places getting almost 6" of rain in just a few hours....washed out a few county roads and a few small bridges....Dungeon Creek was trying to start up....made things a bit damp in the shop.

A new clothes dryer has been installed....getting a bit crowded in the shop.

Have a woodworking item to work on, once the shop dries out. Friend of mine needs a new "Loading" jig made.....old one does not hold a "Navy Colt" well enough to permit reloading it....notch wrong to allow the hammer to rest at half-cock, and the notch for the grip is angled wrong....hinge was done a bit sloppy, too....have all the new parts needed, just waiting on a dry shop.

BTW: West Liberty, OH had 1/2 of the town UNDER WATER....as the Mad River was way over it's banks..by several feet. Lion's Park, the site of the Labor Day Tractor Fest, was also way under water....

Unable to drive screws with my right hand....shakes way too much...left hand is fine? Trying to drive self-driller screws this morning, trying to tighten the Gazebo's top down...Lost half of the screws due to the hand shakes....may take a vacation from doing too much with the right hand.

Got even more parts for the dryer install....now in doubt , due to the shakes...hard to tighten the clamps to the ducting....when you can't hold the drill steady enough to do any good..

IF the Honey-do items will go away for a couple days....I may get back to the shop. Next big project? Need a new desk for this computer....with MORE drawers to stuff full...