Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy a 5/8" doweling jig?

Where can I buy a 5/8" doweling jig?

I continually see 5/8" dowels used in commercial man doors, both interior and exterior. I just cut down an interior door that is about 90 years old and the joints were as good as new. I've been using 5/8" loose tenons and cut the mortises required for them with my slot mortiser. That works fine, but takes a lot longer than it would to drill a few dowel holes.

I can't find a dowel jig that uses anything larger than 1/2" dowels. That might actually be large enough but if I can find one with a 5/8" bushing that would be my preference. Also, I would like a jig that references off one face, not a self centering jig. This JessEm jig looks to be just what I'm looking for if it only had a 5/8" bushing option.

Does anyone know of a source of a 5/8" jig like I'm looking for? Any other options and/or comments relative to this task are appreciated as well.

John

One machine that’s I’ve seen that comes to mind is Davis and Wells Horizontal Borer. I asked about one from the fellow I bought my jointer from. He said it would never be for sale.
    Ive heard they do that one thing very well.
    Good luck
    Aj

Too bad the Jessem jig only goes to 1/2", John. It's a great tool. Any chance you could use two 1/2" dowels side by side instead of one 5/8"? The spacing/registration transfers easily and accurately from one board to another.

The Dowl-It Model 1500 goes up to 3/4" and includes a 5/8" hole:

https://www.dowl-it.com/4

5. Not dowels but I would recommend the festool domino 700. I've used been using it with doors for over a year and I'm very happy with it

Thanks Andrew. A horizontal borer isn't much different than my mortiser. I think the portable nature of a dowel jig has an advantage when handling large door frame members; bring the tool to the work. Of course, I could spend $1500 and buy a Domino but that ain't going to happen.

Nick, I agree. The JessEm jig looks just about perfect for my needs. I'm not sure if I could use 1/2" dowels off center. Maybe, but I'm concerned about making that approach work with cope and stick joinery. And if I have to use a lot more dowels at some point I might better just stick with loose tenons.

Thanks William. The Dowl-It jig is the self centering style. That could work but I'd rather have a jig that references off a common face. Still an option though.

John

Thanks. As great as it would be to have a Domino, I don't want to spend that kind of money.

John

John,

For what you are describing, I would consider just making my own dowel jig for the purpose. Lee Valley sells hardened drill guide bushings and inserts for threading and un-threading them from the jig. Unfortunately Lee Valley's offerings only go up to 3/8" in size. So for your needs, I would look for 5/8" drill guide bushings for use in your jig. Here is a link to one source: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/07140254

I am a big fan of dowel joinery and own and recommend the Jessem jig. This said, I often end up making a dowel jig for the project at hand if the design of the Jessem does not lend itself to what I need. I only spring for the bushings if the jig will be used a lot, otherwise it gets made at the drill press and used carefully to avoid degrading the holes. The Jessem is fantastically adjustable, but a shop made jig can be somewhat adjustable if necessary through the use of spacers and shims. Here is a video of a craftsman that demonstrates shop made doweling jigs that might be useful to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4YaHDDKbYE&t=0s

I would add that this approach will save you some money versus buying a commercial jig or gadget.

Now having said all this, for a contradictory thought, you could abandon the 5/8" dowel idea, and use the Jessem technique of multiple rows of 1/2" or 3/8" dowels. I think their indexing system which allows rows of staggered dowels is very strong and easy to do. If you haven't seen the video already, see what I am talking about in Jessem's product video on the 08350 jig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3tE61O0zzk

I cannot imagine one of these joints failing, even if it were the fraternity's front door from Animal House.

I hope some or all of this helps you,

Edwin

Mcmaster-Carr has .625 drill guides of many various sorts.... perhaps you can make your own doweling jig with their products.

Thanks Edwin for taking the time to offer your suggestions and those links. I have considered builidng my own jig, or designing one and having a local machine shop make it for me, and will likely do so if I can't find a commercial unit. Another option might be to buy the JessEm and replace the bushings with 5/8" ones or build a 5/8" kit for it.

John

When a shop did not have real door making stuff I glued up doors with biscuits . Then drilled and added the dowels which
    had been driven thru a thick plate with chamfered holes. Mixed just a little water with the Titebond 2. The dowels would
    swell and hold well. A lot of those doors were 2 and 1/4 thick. We never had a failure or a complaint about the dowel ends
    showing.

I built over 30 doors with 1/2 dowels (32 in each door) and drilling those many holes wasnt easy on my wrists.
    (i know with glued plywood panels I could use much less but...)
    If you make doors buying Featool is worth it over time. I have it now and qish had bought when making those doors. So much faster and easier.
    If you are really set on 5/8 dowels make your own jig. Its simple and works great with some good quality bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks. As great as it would be to have a Domino, I don't want to spend that kind of money.
    Since you do quite a bit of door work as evidenced by your work displayed here, I suspect a Domino 700XL would pay for itself pretty quickly in time and level of effort. The 14mm x 140mm tenons are really great for both building new and for repairs like you describe. I've already done a few doors as well as some furniture things and I'm uber-impressed with the system. I'm really sad I waited so long to acquire mine! But yes, the initial investment is what it is...

If you cannot find a commercial doweling jig, it probably wouldn't be that difficult to make one up using some hardwood and plywood that would allow you to register a hole to one face of the door and a positioning line as well as provide enough thickness to guide the drill bit straight and perpendicular to the face you're drilling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Seems like an easy job for your Horizontal boring machine to build an app-specific jig into which you can drop a couple 5/8"'s bushings.

John,

Add a spacer to one side of a Dowel-It jig and it will off center the holes by whatever you want. I've used a spacer and a piece of double sided tape to keep it attached to the jig and it has worked very well for me. I wasn't doing 5/8" dowels, but that shouldn't matter.

Charley