Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: workshop in my basement

workshop in my basement

My shop is now being used for electronics instead of woodworking, so I thouhgt I would take pictures while things are relatively clean.

workbench and hand tools
    20190406_102252.jpg
    more hand tools
    20190406_102135.jpg
    misc tools
    20190406_102457.jpg
    some speakers I made
    20190406_102348.jpg
    jointer/planer, mortiser, bandsaw, dust collector, lumber storage
    20190406_102417.jpg
    table saw
    20190406_102515.jpg
    when I removed the drywall I found these cryptic hieroglyphics. I have left them in case they hold the clue to treasure buried elsewhere in the house.
    20190406_102526.jpg

What a thoughtful, careful use of space. Just the tool storage fixtures show your good planning. And you have some nice tools. I am taking notes.

I hope you finish your electronic projects and return to woodworking soon. Or do both and build more speakers.

TW

Lots of painting done using that stool...and nice setup all in all. I may steal some details of the plane till!
    Joe

Thanks. The plane till is purely functional. I don't have any of the gorgeous shop projects many on this forum do. The trouble with how the plane till is done is that each slot is specific to each plane, so if I were to ever change the collection the new ones might not fit in place of the old. The other tool holding apparatus are similar. I felt ok doing that because at this point in my woodworking life I think my collection of commonly-used tools is more or less complete and I am not really inclined to add to or deduct from it. It may have been a subconscious effort to ensure against accumulation of the superfluous.

Yes, there was lots of painting. The 110 year old brick, concrete block and fir floor joists sucked up a lot of white paint. I think the paint is structural at this point.

beautifully done.

Looking good! Lots of time spent on the organization and layout I’m sure.

How does your plane till work? Seems like they are captured? How do the planes get out? A till is on my list of projects.

How do you guys get those 300 lb plus saws in to your basements. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get one through the back yard when I build my outdoor shop. Looks great man I wish I had that space

I couldn't live with that vacuum hose running across the floor. I would route it around the saw and up to the ceiling next to the post. Otherwise, I like your shop layout and wish my shop was that large.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by mat price View Post
    How do you guys get those 300 lb plus saws in to your basements. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get one through the back yard when I build my outdoor shop. Looks great man I wish I had that space
    One piece at a time. Literally. Both the saw and the J/P were entirely disassembled. and carried down a piece at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Looking good! Lots of time spent on the organization and layout I’m sure.

How does your plane till work? Seems like they are captured? How do the planes get out? A till is on my list of projects.

They slide upwards just enough to let the heel come past the bottom cleat, then when you put them back it is done toe first, then they slide down to catch on the bottom cleat. The cleats are shaped as to let the handles, knobs and plane sides pass while still catching the sole.

shaper was disassembled, SawStop ICS was completely disassembled, jointer, planer were moved down in one piece when I was 20 years younger, wide belt sander had pro's move it down for roughly $200. Across the backyard do it when very dry with a trailer or wagon, can put plywood down to move it across or hire someone with a Compact tracked loader to move it for you

Blog Entries
    Matt, the wise guy answer is "carefully" but that's the truth. My old house in Kansas was difficult. Stuff came in from the garage, through the laundry room, into the kitchen past the fridge, turned a corner onto a landing and down the stairs. When the 17" bandsaw went down those stairs, we had to back it into the downstairs bath first.

My Sawstop ICS is some 400# and someone could get killed if it gets away on the stairs. It was delivered to my old shop (basement) by the seller who was experienced with machine rigging. They had me beef up the stair stringers with 4x4 under each stringer at the top and at the center. When we moved out of that house, I hired a rigging company to move 6 machines from my basement to my garage. The cost was about $1100 for three guys for two hours. I suspect a lot of that was insurance.

Moving into my current shop was a snap by comparison because I designed the house. There's an exterior stairway that's a full 4' wide leading to a 42" door. For people, there's an interior spiral staircase.

My only advice if you pursue moving a big machine is to take your time and plan a lot. Put down plywood to roll the machine. As I did, add additional structure to your basement stairs. when we moved the bandsaw down at the old house, I had a friend that did a lot of rock climbing and he was invaluable. He showed up with a load of ropes. We did a lot of visualization so there wasn't any getting stuck in the middle trying to figure out what to do.

ONe more hint. If you have friends help you, the beer is served AFTER the move.

Nice layout, great use of space.

My basement is one place I would never have a wood shop. You may not either after seeing what can be seen in the air with a powerful LED headlamp. I've never thought of a respirator being what I want to wear all the while while I was doing wood work.

Quote Originally Posted by robert wiggins View Post
    My basement is one place I would never have a wood shop. You may not either after seeing what can be seen in the air with a powerful LED headlamp. I've never thought of a respirator being what I want to wear all the while while I was doing wood work.
    This is certainly a consideration...when someone has multiple options. But at least there are ways to mitigate a good portion of airborne dust for those who have to choose between the basement or not woodworking at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...