Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feit LED Shop Lights on Sale at Costco

Feit LED Shop Lights on Sale at Costco

A number of recent threads have been about replacing fluorescent shop lights with LED. A number of you have recommended the Feit LED shop lights sold at Costco. I received my Costco Savings Coupon Book in the mail yesterday, and it announces that starting on April 17, those Feit 4-foot LED 4K will be on sale for $19.99 (usually $29.99). The book also says that Costco.com will have additional savings on the 2-packs (though the web site doesn't identify what the savings will be as of today; presumably it will starting Tuesday). I think it's time to bid farewell to my fluorescents.

2. I bought mine in a similar sale several years ago and have been very happy with them.

I love mine.

I put 16 of them in my 30x34 shop switched in quadrants. They have been excellent for the past 3 yrs.

I've had 20 or so in use for 3 yrs. All totaled I probably have around 30 at various locations. I pick up a few everytime they go on sale and always seem to find a use for them. I have one that will only light one bulb but I have enough fixtures that I don't even notice and it's not worth getting a ladder to swap it out. Other than the one partial failure they've all worked great.

Before I bought them I did a little math and figured they would completely pay for themselves in saved electricity in under two years as compared to fluorescent, figuring a semi-retired 30 hr week. Also, the light is much better and they come on instantly even when I don't have the heat on.

My shop is filled with them. Extremely satisfied.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Does anyone know if these can be wired without the ballast? Over the years my ballasts have been going out and I've been rewiring those fixtures for direct wire LED, removing the ballast and changing the tombstones. Everything I read about the Costco Felt bulbs is that they are a direct replacement for the florescent. I would prefer to not keep powering a ballast if it's not necessary and wonder if the bulbs will even work if the ballast no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Vogel View Post
    Does anyone know if these can be wired without the ballast? ...
    The (Costco) Feits I have are complete fixture replacements. They are end-wired w/ plugs. I have not had reason to disassemble them, as they have been trouble free for me. From my surface exam of them tho' they are not 'bulb' replacements - ballasted or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    They are end-wired w/ plugs.
    Has anyone direct wired these? Also, any idea on what the 2 pack savings that they mention might be?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Do these light have reflectors or (aka, dust collectors ) or are the bulbs open to the ceiling?
    I don't have access to a Costco so am looking elsewhere but would like to know what you all have been happy using.

Thanks.

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Has anyone direct wired these? Also, any idea on what the 2 pack savings that they mention might be?
    Once you are in to direct wiring, you will certainly want to use better lights.
    Basically all lighting suppliers sell LED ready fixtures and then you use whatever LED bulbs you wish. The fixtures are permanent. When the bulbs fail or wear out, you just replace them. It also allows you to choose brighter lights where you want them. You can choose higher efficiency bulbs if you are using them a lot or pay high prices for electricity and are willing to pay a bit more for a bulb that will make more light per watt.

Here is one example although my local lighting supplier sells them for $12.50 when you buy 10+:
    https://www.prolighting.com/lss2xt8use4803.html

Here are some bulbs that will make the Costco Feits seem like you are working by candlelight:
    https://www.prolighting.com/led-ligh...l07103-3m.html

Many possibilities. Narrow angle, wider angle, less/more light, Lumens per watt vs price per bulb. Reliable brands with a warranty that might be worth something, etc.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 04-14-2019 at 2:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Do these light have reflectors or (aka, dust collectors ) or are the bulbs open to the ceiling?
    I don't have access to a Costco so am looking elsewhere but would like to know what you all have been happy using.

Thanks.

Sam
    Sam you should look into buying the lights direct from China where they are made. If you already have fluorescent fixtures then getting replacement bulbs make a lot of sense. If you have none then buying the fixture assemblies can be more cost effective especially if you are getting a lot. I bought my fixtures through Alibaba a couple years ago and have been extremely happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Once you are in to direct wiring, you will certainly want to use better lights.
    Appreciate all the information and those from ProLighting don't look bad if I wanted to rewire the existing fixtures.
    My question should have been worded a little differently as - Has anyone directly wired these instead of using the plug?
    My lights are currently wired into junction boxes and I don't want to install outlets for the lights.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

I paid $10 a four-foot tube at my electrical supply house, where the pros go.

The tubes work without ballasts, exactly as I wanted.

I removed the ballasts from existing fixtures then wired black to one end of the tubes’ two tombstones and white to the two at the other end.

They work fine, and with very little work I reused the old fixtures and didn’t have to figure out where to trash them.

The old fluorescent tubes I removed went to a neighbor. I was lucky he needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Appreciate all the information and those from ProLighting don't look bad if I wanted to rewire the existing fixtures.
    My question should have been worded a little differently as - Has anyone directly wired these instead of using the plug?
    My lights are currently wired into junction boxes and I don't want to install outlets for the lights.
    Chris, do you live in an area that requires approved equipment?

I do, and modifying the fixture would void the approval...........Regards, Rod.