Thread: Picking up a Delta 12/14 tablesaw next weekend

Picking up a Delta 12/14 tablesaw next weekend

I found a Delta 12/14 table saw on C-list. I have agreed with the seller to pick it up next weekend. It is 3phase so I may switch out the motor. No fence, but the mitre gauge is included. I know it weighs about 700 pounds so I plan to remove the tables and tip it into my truck. I will bring some long 2x6's for ramps if needed. How easy is it to pull the motor to reduce weight? Will my unisaw fence fit? I am excited and nervous about how big it is. For under $300 how wrong can it be?
    Bill D

The one at our high school goes through 8/4 stuff like butter and doesn’t slow down much with glued up 16/4. It has the commercial Bies on it.
    Never had to remove the motor, but you should consider a rotary converter.

3 phase motors can be found for cheap.
    There was a guy on eBay that built custom panels. I got mine from him 10-15 yeas ago. I bought my motor (7.5hp for $20), and sent him the model and specs. He built the panel and included a schematic for wiring it up for $125, I think (maybe $110, that keeps running through my head)
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

The 12/14's are very good saws. I had a Delta/Crescent 12/14 that was a fantastic machine. The motor mount is 182T, 184T, or 213T frame motors. It's 4 bolts to pull it. The motor is heavy.

No way to know which fence holes it has drilled for it, depending on the age of the machine. These were badged several different ways over the years, including Rockwell, Delta/Milwaukee, or Delta/Crescent (most desirable). Drilling and tapping cast iron is no big deal, though. Very soft compared to steel.
    Jeff

I do have a older 5hp vfd so I will try that to start. Even if it has a 7.5 hp motor I will run it as a 5hp max.
    Bill D.