Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions for those that converted T12 4 foot fluorescent fixtures to LED.

Just wondering if any of you converting to LED's actually look at Lumen output of the bulb. A typical T8 bulb is around $4.00 and puts out 2800 lumens and in my case have run 12 hours a day for the last 10 years. Mike the bulbs you are buying are 1800 lumens just for reference.

I downloaded the Lux Light Meter app. I'll post before and after workshop Lux readings. My day job work surface, which is in a recently remodeled office, reads at 416 Lux.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Monroe View Post
    I downloaded the Lux Light Meter app. I'll post before and after workshop Lux readings. My day job work surface, which is in a recently remodeled office, reads at 416 Lux.
    As part of a study of "typical office" light, using a calibrated meter we measured lux levels in many offices, conference rooms, and laboratories. As expected, there was a lot of variability. However, in general "normal office light" was in the 400's. I have not measured the lux in my shop, but the lighting is far brighter than my office. Maybe I should measure. It would be an interesting data point. BTW, sunlight consistently measured around 2000 lux. Not sure if the sensor was saturated in that case. but another data point anyway.

We also captured spectra-graphs of wavelengths between fluorescent bulbs and sunlight. Huge difference, as expected. We did not test LED lights of any temperature. That would be interesting too. I suspect there are plots available on the web somewhere, if I cared to look.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 04-23-2019 at 11:06 PM.