Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which Miter Gauge to Choose?

1. Hey Everyone,

Here is the final update and a fix for those that have the same issue:

Kreg sent me a replacement part for my mitre gauge and it behaved exactly the same as the previous part with way too much slop in the flip stop. I noticed that if I install the flip stop backwards (eg hanging off the back of the fence) it locks in place precisely with very little play (Unfortunately the way it was designed you cant just assemble it in a way that it will work)

However...

I discovered that the reason it works backwards but not in the correct orientation is that they designed the bracket with a foot that drops into the t-track to be shaped like a wedge while the front part of the bracket extends down and contacts the t-track before the wedge can engage...

The fix is easy, file a bit off the front of the bracket so it no longer contacts the fence.

Below is an image example of what I'm talking about:

Hopefully this helps someone...

Thanks for posting this Dustin!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Id wait until the incra is back in stock, very happy with my 1000 (SE I believe)

I believe that you can never go wrong with Incra products regardless of price. I have the Incra 1000HD Miter Sled. It is extremely accurate after the initial setup. Sometimes Incra products cost more, but they are worth it.

I see that Jessem is offering a new one. Looks nice, would bear further consideration if I didn't like my Incras so well.

Blog Entries
    Jessem user here. Mine is an older model. I see that Jessem just started making miter gauges again. Might be worth a look.

Oddly Relevant:

Peachtree is having a 20% off + Free Shipping sale on a few Incra Mitre Gauges (Code: TSAW7):

https://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_051719_incra.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Bullard View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Here is the final update and a fix for those that have the same issue:

Kreg sent me a replacement part for my mitre gauge and it behaved exactly the same as the previous part with way too much slop in the flip stop. I noticed that if I install the flip stop backwards (eg hanging off the back of the fence) it locks in place precisely with very little play (Unfortunately the way it was designed you cant just assemble it in a way that it will work)

However...

I discovered that the reason it works backwards but not in the correct orientation is that they designed the bracket with a foot that drops into the t-track to be shaped like a wedge while the front part of the bracket extends down and contacts the t-track before the wedge can engage...

The fix is easy, file a bit off the front of the bracket so it no longer contacts the fence.

Below is an image example of what I'm talking about:

Hopefully this helps someone...

Dustin are you saying it will work in the correct orientation with this modification, or in the backwards orientation? I'll figure it out but thanks a bunch. I thought it was only my problem.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Dustin are you saying it will work in the correct orientation with this modification, or in the backwards orientation? I'll figure it out but thanks a bunch. I thought it was only my problem.

The fix allows you to use it as intended in the correct orientation. You don't have to go crazy filing/sanding it down. Probably only 1/32-1/16 shaved off lets it lock down perfectly.

Oddly Relevant:

Peachtree is having a 20% off + Free Shipping sale on a few Incra Mitre Gauges (Code: TSAW7):

I had been on the fence over buying another miter gauge although I had wanted a good one for a long time. Got the email today about this 20%/free shipping sale and could not resist. A 1000HD should be on the way to me Monday or Tuesday.

Oddly Relevant:

Dustin, thanks for this lead. Ive been wanting an Incra V27 for my bandsaw. Got it for $55 with free shipping. I appreciate it.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-17-2019 at 9:36 PM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”