Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Miter Gauge to Choose?

Which Miter Gauge to Choose?

I'm looking to get a better miter gauge for my table saw and I can't decide between the Kreg Miter Gauge System or the Incra 1000 SE.

If you have one of these I would love to hear your impression of it and why you chose it. Both look like they are well made and would do the job. So what say you guys?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I have the Incra 1000. Like, and use it very much. Stops are accurate. Adjusts to fit the miter slot. Precise repeat ability of angles. Would buy again.

Am sure the Kreg is a great product also.

I have a basic Incra miter gauge, V27 maybe? I bought it used.

It's well built, accurate, repeatable. At first, I wanted to pay the 100 or 100s more for a fancier one with an extruded fence and all that BS, but I realized a shop made sacrificial fence is just as good or better...

I have a Kreg and like it a lot. Accurate and easy to set to common angles via a pin. The longer fence and stop block are a nice feature for repeatable cut lengths. I like the Kreg better than an Incra I used when I used to share a shop, but I don't recall what model the Incra was. If I did a lot of work that required less common angles, the Incra's settings might be more useful to me. Both are a big step up from the basic models that come with your tablesaw, including the one that came with my Sawstop.

I have the Woodhaven Deluxe Miter Gauge and it has worked very well for me. Very accurate and well made.

Marshall,
    Here's an old thread where I compared 4 miter gauges. LINK I bought the Incra 1000HD and love it.

Hope it helps,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have two Incras. Bought the second one because I liked the first one so much. Haven't used the Kreg, but I would be surprised if it's as strong as the Incras.

Consider the Osbourne. I have one and would really like to have two. It offers a built-in stop and stays square after being adjusted. I have no ezperience with your other choices, so I can't offer a comparision.

I also have the Incra 1000 SE with the cross cut sled. After a couple years of owning it and using it alot it still is as accurate as the day I got it. The Incra tools I have owned all have been of good quality. Although I also have a couple of Kreg tools and they are also well built. I'm sure you could not go wrong with either brand.

Bill

Love my incra. I have the hd, Flip stop is great. Like all incra fences, you need to get used to having to use the screwdriver to loosen the nuts everytime you want to adjust it.

It is very good also for its ability to adjust the slop in the slot.

Last and most important, the precision of the angles is very good. You can trust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Marshall,
    Here's an old thread where I compared 4 miter gauges. LINK I bought the Incra 1000HD and love it.

Hope it helps,
    Fred
    Thanks for all the input on this. And thanks Fred for the link.

Its $30 more but I am leaning towards the Incra. If I add a sacrificial fence to the gauge so that it extends beyond the blade to back my cut then with the Kreg the stop has to be adjusted by breaking a piece of the end of the stop. Or buying a separate stop for the sacrificial fence. The Incra appears to be able to handle bot setups with just the one stop.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Does anyone know anything about this unit? I'll probably set myself up with a miter sled with a great big protractor arc for the more critical stuff, but for the down-and-dirty, this looks a bit nicer than the one that came with my Powermatic saw:

https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-F.../dp/B07KXL1RNF

Only problem is, nobody has reviewed it yet, and I'm not sure I want to be the first guinea pig!
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 04-13-2019 at 7:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have the Incra 1000HD. I use it when I want to cut perfect 45's. Works Great...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this unit? I'll probably set myself up with a miter sled with a great big protractor arc for the more critical stuff, but for the down-and-dirty, this looks a bit nicer than the one that came with my Powermatic saw:

https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-F.../dp/B07KXL1RNF

Only problem is, nobody has reviewed it yet, and I'm not sure I want to be the first guinea pig!
    I havent seen this one Jacob, but it looks like a knockoff of the Incra V120 that I tried. The V120 costs about $20 more than the one you linked to. If you have the extra to spend, you can't go wrong with the Incra product. BTW, Incra has good customer service too. (Long story, but I screwed up and they still warranted it.)
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Incra 1000HD is excellent. I use it at my router table.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.