Thread: Finishing Inside of Salt/PepperMills

Finishing Inside of Salt/PepperMills

Made my first pepper mill the other day. I can't find any info as to whether the inside, where the salt or pepper goes, should be sealed or have any kind of finish on it. Do you leave the wood bare, or seal/finish it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Made my first pepper mill the other day. I can't find any info as to whether the inside, where the salt or pepper goes, should be sealed or have any kind of finish on it. Do you leave the wood bare, or seal/finish it? Thanks.
    I've always left the wood inside unfinished. If concerned, you could use some finish then leave it open until well cured. But bare wood is traditionally used around food: bowls, wooden spoons, cutting boards, toothpicks.

Get as much dust and loose stuff out as you can. Seal the inside with sanding sealer by swabbing or pouring some in and rolling the blank. I use shellac sanding sealer. I just want to keep loose powdery wood residues from entering the spice stream.

Eugene - do you know if salt has any effect on shellac sanding sealer?

Ed, I use the same method as a lot of my grinders are Camphor Laurel and that seals up the smell of the wood. I did check one that was a demo piece and the salt emptied out white and clean after a year or two.
    Regards,
    Richard.

l've got(ten) no complaints.

If your concerned the salt will attract moisture and attack the 'finish', keep some rice in the salt shaker. Not sure how that will work with a salt mill, however.
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 04-13-2019 at 8:00 PM.

I use nothing. Unless the salt shaker is in a high humidity spot the salt won’t melt. I do finish the exposures part on the bottom so it looks nice.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've always left the wood inside unfinished. If concerned, you could use some finish then leave it open until well cured. But bare wood is traditionally used around food: bowls, wooden spoons, cutting boards, toothpicks.
    I might add that I prefer to use hard, fine-grained wood. Most have been made from cocobolo, dogwood, ebony, hard maple and such.

I can't imagine enough abrasion from salt or pepper to wear bits off the wood. Seems like that much abrasion would also wear bits off any finish.

JKJ

Shellac. Dries quickly Seals wood. It's food safe. - John

Thanks for all the feedback.

salt is corrosive & will eventually ruin any finish IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    Do you have data or experience to support opinion? - John

Do you have data or experience to support opinion?
    Salt in a lot of moisture is corrosive to some metals. Don't know about dry salt on finishes but if worried, epoxy might be good. Or find a thin plastic sleeve to slide inside. But still, any I make will have bare wood inside. I can't remember any instructions, books, or turners over the years that specified finish inside. I guess it would be wise if the wood is real soft and punky and might flake off if dropped, but that would seem like poor wood for a salt/pepper grinder.

I put a coat of clear Shellac inside all of my peppermills and salt mills, sometimes depending on the wood I'll use Orange or Garnet Shellac. Shellac dries quickly and there is no smell like if using oil. Never oil (Danish Oil or the like) the inside of a mill because the smell will never go away. I use Shellac on the inside for two reasons: 1) to seal the wood. 2) to show the customer that I take as much pride and care on the inside of my mills as I do on the outside.

I also sand the inside of my mills which many do not. I only sand to 120 or 180 grit, but at least it looks and feels smoother than bare wood. When a customer goes to refill their mill I don't want them to see bare wood. I like to think my mills are of the highest quality they can buy anywhere, and to me quality extends to the inside.