Thread: Chisel hanger vaguely evocative of a wall clock?

Chisel hanger vaguely evocative of a wall clock?

I want to move my framing chisel out of the shop and hang it on the wall in my office. I don't want to accidentally bang the edge, and it takes up a LOT of room in a drawer. On the wall in the office it is out of the way until I need it again.

So I have this stupid n00b idea that I could make a hanger in flat and quarter sawn white oak shaped somewhat like a mission style wall clock... and I got nothing really. I have been thinking I _could_ do it for several weeks. I am to the point I need to get it done before I finally drop something on the chisel, and I got nothing.

I have looked at so many Mission style clocks online that I have clock hands burned into my retinas. The chisel is 1.5" wide edge by 17.5 inches over all.

I am not looking to hang it in the Guggenheim, but I do want it to look like I though about it until I had a good idea. That's the thing, I don't have a good idea.

I did build a prototype in scrap lumber. Here is what I got. How can I make this not look forced or clunky? I honestly think the bare prototype hanging on the wall looks better than any other idea I have so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve always thought this was a nice design...could be adapted for one chisel.

AEF8D227-6DDA-405E-B1EE-91747642B645.jpeg

With maybe a strong magnet somewhere? In fact, couple of strong magnets alone might hold it securely. I've got some 1/2" cube magnets that are very difficult to remove from a piece of steel.

If you have any old hard drives, you can salvage the magnets for free. They are super strong.

I was thinking over the weekend about some of the designs for Craftsman style light fixtures I have seen and how vertical they are, like a vertical piece of white glass with three vertical strips of black metal mounted on the surface. Looking at the picture Phil posted, that one has strong elements both vertical and horizontal.

I decided to see how much horizontal visual weight I could take off the chisel holder pointing away form clock towards all vertical.

Letting the metal of the chisel visible through the hanger was a breakthrough I think, and I kept going from there.

Still open for other ideas. On the one hand I want to widen it and add a couple vertical strips of QSWO, on the other hand I want to leave it alone.

I am going to lower the nail hole so it is behind the handle and doesn't show. Very likely to put some kind of cup over the edge of the blade - but not mandatory.

photos rotated

Scott,

I took the liberty of rotating your photos to better see the vertical effect for comparison.

__temp.jpg......__temp1.jpg

Hopefully I can control picture rotation before I get to 8000 posts.

Looking at my plank of flat sawn white oak, I am inclined to just lop the knot hole off and then cut out a slightly diagonal to the board piece for the hanger so I have straight grain that is also parallel to the sides of my chisel hanger. My local purveyor kinda gave me a deal on this piece to take it off his hands, so I could just toss the waste on some charcoal to smoke some ribeye without feeling extravagantly wasteful.

20190416_191029.jpgcrop.jpg
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 04-17-2019 at 2:16 PM. Reason: trying to rotate darn pictar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Hopefully I can control picture rotation ...
    It's a common problem if you are using an iPhone to take pictures. I believe what you have to do, and what I do, is load the pictures first into an image processing/photo editing program, rotate if needed there, and save as a JPG. I use Photoshop but there are many, some cheap, some free, some online.

Using an editor has other optional advantages - you can adjust brightness and color if needed, you can crop off things to improve the composition, and you can resize and save the image with a smaller file size so it can be transmitted over the internet easier, especially for people who have slow internet connections.

JKJ

I have now a working thing in poplar that gets the chisel out of the drawer. i am still going to remake this in white oak, the pocket for the edge needs to be deeper...but I can leave this on the wall a few weeks without hurting it and decide if I like the proportions. And I have now two pics on the site that are oriented the way I choose for them to be oriented on purpose, not by accident.

The white oak version is coming along. The main piece is 2 3/8 inches wide at the top and 2 1/2 inches wide at the bottom. 60 mm and 63.5mm respectively. To me that makes it look a little taller.

Once the glue is dry on the edge protector cup I want to under cut the bottom, so the front face length is unchanged but the length of wood up against the paint on the wall will be a little shorter, maybe 1/8, a quarter, _possibly_ 3/8 shorter. I'll guess low and maybe have to make that cut twice.

total.jpgfoot.jpg

This came out good enough to check the box and move on to the next thing on the list. If the appearance changes much after the beeswax dries and it gets rebuffed I'll maybe take one more picture.

I ended up trimming some triangles of post it note close to wall paint color to estimate how much to take off the bottom, I ended up taking it back 5/16". I think I shall order up a set of French curves.

DSC_9323.jpgDSC_9324.jpgDSC_9325.jpg