Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Is a 1.5 HP cyclone enough for my garage shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Just a note about filter pressure. I use a Magnahelic gauge to monitor filter pressure. I bought it used on eBay and not expensive.

The filter pressure will also vary depending on the flow. The higher the cfm the higher the filter pressure with the same filter conditions.
    I didn't even think of Ebay. Wow, they're falling out of the sky over there!

I assume the one we want is the 2005C, since the one Onieda sells is also 1-5 inches.
    I just picked up a nos one, with the accessory / mounting kit, forless than half of what Onieda charges. Thanks.

(I'm going to vent outside most of the year, but this will come in handy in the winter)

Say, does anyone know what pressure range would be approriate for a 1/4 HP air cleaner, like the JDS750 types?

I was going to rig a simple "weather vane" type indicator, like Steel City used to use, but an actual gauge would be lovely.

@Peter Christensen
    I live in Michigan, I don't tend to plane as much in the winter either, I think only 3x in this mild winter actually. Each time bundled up like I was searching for the North Pole. Shop is still very much in progress, first things first (tools, organization) but replacing the old old shiplap and insulating is definitely on the list, there's a BREEZE in there with everything closed up! Even with the heater blasting, you'd better be standing in the heatstream.

I tend to do a lot more house projects during the winter so far...

But I'm just a hobbyist.

...I don't know HOW I didn't check Ebay yet myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Not the answer was hoping for, but this is exactly what I needed to hear.

If I can get the price really low, maybe I'll snag it and put the planer right next to it. Otherwise, yeah I'll pass & keep looking.
    I am in the same boat. I am thinking I will need something a good bit larger than what you originally posted up....

Say, does anyone know what pressure range would be appropriate for a 1/4 HP air cleaner, like the JDS750 types?
    For an air cleaner you may not need to monitor the filter by pressure changes, because the dirt accumulates on the outside surface, rather than the inside as for the DC filter. You can simply look at the air cleaner to tell whether it's time to clean or change the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    For an air cleaner you may not need to monitor the filter by pressure changes, because the dirt accumulates on the outside surface, rather than the inside as for the DC filter. You can simply look at the air cleaner to tell whether it's time to clean or change the filter.
    There's also an internal filter, which you can't see. You don't change that nearly as often, so you can't just look at the frst stage filter to know what's up.

Plus, some folks use an electrostatic front filter, which is hard to judge visually.
    And last, I'm considering putting true HEPA filters on mine, as a final stage, if there's enough air pressure to do so.

But I started another thread on this topic, and there are defiitely other (cheaper) ways to go about this.

I just tape a 12x24 merv7 filter in front of my ambient air cleaners/ I change it when it looks dirty every month
    Extends the cleaning of the primary filter it came with
    and multiple filtration is the key to clean air

There's also an internal filter, which you can't see. You don't change that nearly as often, so you can't just look at the frst stage filter to know what's up.

Plus, some folks use an electrostatic front filter, which is hard to judge visually.
    And last, I'm considering putting true HEPA filters on mine, as a final stage, if there's enough air pressure to do so.

But I started another thread on this topic, and there are defiitely other (cheaper) ways to go about this.
    Carpe Lignum

Allan,

I used the Oneida 1.5 HP for 15 years before buying a new Oneida 1.5 HP V1500. I suppose it's adequacy would depend, to some degree, how long your duct runs are. However, I have one central run across the center of my shop with 3 drops. I do switch the most central connection between all my mobile tools as it is in the center of the shop. I used it for my jointer, 13" planer, table saw, bandsaw, drill press, and router table, one tool at a time of course.

That particular Oneida cyclone never failed me. The biggest problem with it is that Oneida does not make an internal HEPA filter for that cyclone. While the filter that is available does a good job, it certainly doesn't filter out particles as small as a HEPA would. And, as far as I know, the only air cleaner available with a HEPA filter is the new Powermatic. All other air cleaners are not HEPA filter equipped.

The lack of a HEPA filter for the old Oneida was really the main reason I upgraded to an Oneida V1500. Other than that, the old one always did the job. There volume of air it moves is only slightly less than my new one and there was never a problem grabbing all the chips and dust from my planer (which is most likely the highest output of chips in the shop). Collection from your table saw will only be as good as is possible with your tool but effectiveness will not likely be the fault of the old cyclone.

I believe it had a Baldor motor which I would guess should last maybe forever.

I think it will do well in your shop. Just keep the duct runs as short and as straight as possible.

Oneida might even give you some assistance if you call them and indicate it's for one of their old cyclones although there aren't many of their employees who know much about that one anymore.

Just read some of the other posts. If it's ineffective, it's most likely because of the location and nature of the dust port on a machine. The old Oneida moves a lot of air. Even when I upgraded, I went with a 1.5 HP V1500 because of the need to rewire for anything bigger and really didn't need anything bigger as I only use it for one machine at a time. However, I would say that I love the new cyclone even more than I always loved the old one - quieter, more efficient, and it is even a little more powerful than the old one. The old one was still a great dust collector thought.
    Last edited by Randy Heinemann; 05-06-2019 at 2:06 PM.