Thread: Is a 1.5 HP cyclone enough for my garage shop?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is a 1.5 HP cyclone enough for my garage shop?

I know this has been asked many, many times, but I'm hoping for opinions on my specific setup:

I have a typical hobbyist 2-car garage-shop. I only use 1 machine at a time. My biggest chip producer is a 12", 3 HP Powermatic 100 planer.
    I also have a 3 HP Unisaw and a 21", 5 HP bandsaw, but I think the BS only needs about 500 CFM.
    I will be running ducting across the ceiling, with "typical" lengths.
    The inlet to the Onieda cyclone I'm considering is 6"
    I can duct directly to the outside in warm weather, but have to design the system for use with a filter. (Or two filters, if that helps.)

I run TWO 1/4 HP air filters in the shop, but I still want to keep the air as clean as possible, since I have a form of very mild asthma.
    ---------------------------

I'm considering buying my neighbor's very old Onieda 1.5 HP cyclone, as he wants to upgrade. It's the old model with an internal filter.
    I would of course pull that filter out, and retrofit an external 36" Merv 15 filter.

I know this system will be "right on the edge" and duct layout etc will be critical, but I'd like opinions on whether should wait for something with a bit more CFM capability. According to Onieda, if using a single 36" external filter, and maybe 40 feet of ducting, I should see around 700-800 cfm at my machines. He said venting outside would help a little, but not as much as I'm probably hoping.

I don't know how much is required for the PM100 (12") planer. Mine has a home-made dust port, so I can change the outlet diameter, but what diameter & CFM is proper for it, not marginal? I guess this is the main question I have to answer.
    -------------

So, what do you guys think? Was the Onieda tech correct with his estimate?
    Would I be making a mistake with this system? The price is "pretty good", but only if it will do the job.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-13-2019 at 4:42 PM.