Thread: Dado blade for a 12" tablesaw

Dado blade for a 12" tablesaw

I am in the market for a 12/14 " table saw. Would a 8 or 10" dado blade be big enough? I do not think most dadoes need to be more then one inch deep or so. Not sure how far up the blade goes. I understand on a delta 12/14 the 14" blade does not go all the way below the table but the 12" blade does.
    Bill D

10" is plenty large for a 12-14" saw. I have a 12" on my Whitney and a full 1.5" width is too heavy IMO for a typical Delta 12-14 type build. Arbor will carry it but hard on the bearings as they are small compared to the 6311 on my machine. The 10" is a nice size. I have 6"-12" and the shallow angle of the large diameters works well if the machine can swing the weight. Dave

Do you know the RPM of the arbor? Assuming its set to give you optimal performance with a 12-14" blade, a 6-8" dado might have too low of a tip speed for optimal cutting. I run a 10" dado on my PM72 and it performs well. Cant imagine ever needing that much cutting depth on a dado stack though.

If this delta is run off a VFD, you could speed the motor up when using a small dado blade.