Thread: Finally, a used tool win...

Finally, a used tool win...

I was on Facebook this afternoon and someone in a woodworking group posted that a domino was for sale on the Facebook marketplace in Dallas. I figured it was already gone but I reached out to the guy anyway. Made the deal a few minutes later for $800. It's the Domino 500 with a Festool hose, two systainers, all the available cutters, a systainer full of dominos, and the various kit attachments. A little north of $1500 brand new. I paid via PayPal and threw in $25 to cover the fees in case anything is amiss. Should be here in a few days!

I was planning on and budgeted for getting a domino in a couple of months anyway so this works out perfectly. Might take my savings and get the next tool on my list!

Yippee! You will find many more uses for the Domino than you think.

Good find, Tim. I have great reluctance that I waited so long to jump on the Domino system. It's great and is changing the way I do certain things in a very positive (and productive) way. While I'm using the larger 700XL because it's more in line with my general needs (I do have the Seneca adapter to use the smaller cutters) I absolutely love the tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim I kicked myself for about a year after buying the 500 for not going with the 700. But recently looking at my domino stock I realize I dont really use the 8 and never used the 10. but have had to reorder on the 5&6. So in the end I think I did OK.

George, what's important is that the tool matches your work pattern. It sounds like the smaller Dominos are what your projects are suited to so you most likely made the right choice with the 500. To-date, I haven't used anything below 10mm which is natively supported by the 700XL, but I do have the adapter and cutters down to the smallest for when a project calls for it. I figure the adapter is a hedge for now on occasional use and if I suddenly find that my client work would benefit from a lot of the smaller fasteners, then I'll consider getting the dedicated smaller machine. The 500 is probably the best bet for "General Woodworking" for many, many folks, honestly as the larger 12mm and 14mm come more into play for "bigger/beefier" structures. (What I actually bought mine for)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hope this works out for you and all is on the up and up. I personally avoid buying portable shop tools, especially expensive portable tools, that may be still hot from sticky fingers.

I doubt there is a thief that would want to hear what I would do if he got caught by this old man.