Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 65 or Jet JTAS-10XL

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I would not hesitate to buy the Powermatic. Way better than jet. Unless you have 3 phase power, avoid 3 phase.
    Just because I’m curious, at some point you had both the PM 65 and a Jet JTAS? What was it about the PM that made it way better than the Jet?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    ...you had both the PM 65 and a Jet...?
    No, I have 2 Unisaws. I have owned Powermatic jointer and mortising machine and consider PM head and shoulders above Jet, which I feel is an inferior import.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

So you’ve never had any direct experience with Jet, and have never had a PM 65, yet hands down you’d get the PM and the Jet is crap. Interesting logic.

Would have been better to just say that you prefer old American machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    So you’ve never had any direct experience with Jet, and have never had a PM 65, yet hands down you’d get the PM and the Jet is crap. Interesting logic.

Thankfully none of us are required to clear our posts with you before posting.

No, I have 2 Unisaws. I have owned Powermatic jointer and mortising machine and consider PM head and shoulders above Jet, which I feel is an inferior import.
    So you have never owned a PM or a Jet table saw, and apparently you have never owned a Jet machine of any kind? It is curious why you would feel qualified to make a recommendation give you have no more experience with the tools in question than the person asking for a recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    So you have never owned a PM or a Jet table saw, and apparently you have never owned a Jet machine of any kind? It is curious why you would feel qualified to make a recommendation give you have no more experience with the tools in question than the person asking for a recommendation?
    A career in design engineering and 40+ years as a professional woodworker and owner/operator of woodworking machinery (I have 4 table saws), qualify me to have an opinion and give a recommendation. Along with having owned Powermatic and imported machinery, as well as many other brands, and having examined (and rejected some) Jet machinery. Additionally it should be common knowledge to anyone with internet access, and a curiosity regarding woodworking machinery, that Jet is a brand whose reputation lies in the shadow of Powermatic. I don't need to own a Yugo to recommend that someone avoid them.

On the other hand you might find someone who just got into woodworking as a hobby, bought a Jet table saw, and claims it has done everything asked of it. Though he might even provide a glowing recommendation, he has little or no experience with woodworking machinery, in general, and none with other brands as a comparison.

A lot of us do, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    A lot of us do, actually.
    I know, i’m One of them. Doesn’t mean everyone is and ruling out the Jet just because it’s made overseas might not be in the OP’s best interest.

So, as a previous owner of the Jet, I can say that it was one of the best table saws I've ever owned. Specifically, the table was flat to .002", extension tables were easy to flush up and were also flat to the rest of the table, miter slots were true to one another and adjusted easily to be parallel with the blade. Trunion operated very smoothly and stayed in adjustment throughout the travel and tilt. The fence was also easily aligned to the blade and to my recollection, there was no burning on cut edges. It was a great saw at a great price.
    Why did I sell it? At the time, the 66 was the saw to have, so when I could afford it, I sold the Jet and bought a 66. I was very disappointed with the fit and finish of the 66. The extension table's webbing was not nearly as substantial as the Jet's and they were both concave at the center. The table was way out of flat and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it adjusted close to flat. Miter slots were not parallel and no amount of adjustment could fix that. Raising and lowering the blade was not smooth and blade alignment would change as the blade was raised and tilted. I ended up returning that saw for another 66, with the same results. I suspected and bad lot of 66s from that retailer, so I returned that 2nd 66 and purchased a 3rd from a different retailer only have similar issues. After about a year of dealing with poor cuts, the PM2000 had been on the market with great reviews. Having had a great experience with the Jet and being told by PM that the 2000 was made in the same place, to tight tolerances, I purchased the PM2000 and have been happy with it ever since. I found it to be every bit as good as the Jet and far above the 66s that I owned.
    I don't doubt that the 66 is built like a tank and would be a workhorse year after year. I also believe that the Baldor motor would do the same. Not being a production shop, I'm sure the PM2000's motor will last my lifetime, as would the Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    So, as a previous owner of the Jet, I can say that it was one of the best table saws I've ever owned.
    Ditto. Mine was an incredibly good machine. If I didn't get the bug for the slider, I'd still be using the Jet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ditto. Mine was an incredibly good machine. If I didn't get the bug for the slider, I'd still be using the Jet.
    An awful lot of it is how well it is dialed in and tuned up. I have used plenty of good Asian machines.

I know, i’m One of them. Doesn’t mean everyone is and ruling out the Jet just because it’s made overseas might not be in the OP’s best interest.
    Condition of the machine would be a huge determination point for me. My only issue is that the fair market value of a decent cabinet saw seems closer to eight hundred rather than 100 on the used market, at least around here. My advice to the OP would be to reconcile themselves to the fact that they might resell the machine for a few hundred less than they bought it for if they purchased it.

And then I would advise they trust their gut feeling and not look back.

Personally, I would prefer the Powermatic. Actually for 1100 I would look for an Oliver 270 or 232....but not everyone wants to work with an ancient three phase machine that weighs that much...

1100 would buy a decent Powermatic 72...

Does not mean buying a clean ready to go machine for 1100 is a bad idea....using a machine for a decade and then selling it for 300 less is $30 a year to use it. I can't even buy dinner with one of my kids for thirty bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    ...bought a 66. I was very disappointed with the fit and finish of the 66. The extension table's webbing was not nearly as substantial as the Jet's and they were both concave at the center. The table was way out of flat and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it adjusted close to flat. Miter slots were not parallel and no amount of adjustment could fix that. Raising and lowering the blade was not smooth and blade alignment would change as the blade was raised and tilted. I ended up returning that saw for another 66, with the same results. I suspected and bad lot of 66s from that retailer, so I returned that 2nd 66 and purchased a 3rd from a different retailer only have similar issues...
    Shoulda bought a Jet.

A career in design engineering and 40+ years as a professional woodworker and owner/operator of woodworking machinery (I have 4 table saws), qualify me to have an opinion and give a recommendation. Along with having owned Powermatic and imported machinery, as well as many other brands, and having examined (and rejected some) Jet machinery. Additionally it should be common knowledge to anyone with internet access, and a curiosity regarding woodworking machinery, that Jet is a brand whose reputation lies in the shadow of Powermatic. I don't need to own a Yugo to recommend that someone avoid them.

On the other hand you might find someone who just got into woodworking as a hobby, bought a Jet table saw, and claims it has done everything asked of it. Though he might even provide a glowing recommendation, he has little or no experience with woodworking machinery, in general, and none with other brands as a comparison.
    Well, actually if you have never had any experience with a particular machine, I really cannot fathom how you could make any recommendation against any machine. Likewise, if you feel that 40 years as a woodworker puts you at the pinnacle of expertise, then let me say that you still have a long way to go. I just love it when someone says I’ve done this and I own that, but that that alone should qualify me as an authority on everything. But at the end of the day, they still have zero personal experience with a Powermatic or a Jet table saw.
    Last edited by J. Greg Jones; 04-15-2019 at 6:09 PM.

Just to add some some more food for thought - this machine just popped up on my local CL. Thoughts?

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d...868021723.html