Thread: Source for stainless or UV stable sign blank? and a stake?

Source for stainless or UV stable sign blank? and a stake?

A friend wants a small (maybe 4"x6" or so) memorial sign that will be placed with a stake near grave plots. I plan to use a spray marking compound on stainless, but if there's a recommended black anodized aluminum option that won't fade outdoors, that's fine, too.

Our local fabricator said no, they don't do very small runs. Another supplier that I use online said they have a minimum of 50 pcs.

I found Arboretum tags at National Band and Tag Company, but they are already etched.

Do you know of a source where I could buy a few (maybe 5)? And having a stake with it would be a plus.

Thanks!
    Amy
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

Order 5 of the black Corian samples, the large ones should work for your project. Corian will last up to 50 years in external service, it engraves great and paint fills well with any type of paint. I don't know of any other engraving material that will last as long.

Agree with Keith about the Corian. Another option would be granite. Johnson Plastic sells black granite blanks that laser well. These are much nicer but more expensive than what you can get at the local home improvement store. No paint fill necessary but you could if you wanted. It's going to be tough to find a stake that will fit a 4x6 blank. We've made custom stakes using copper pipe, fittings and paint for Corian. You might want to mount the 4x6 to a larger mounting plate attached to the stake.
    Cammaster Cobra 508 ATC, Trotec Speedy 300,
    Gravograph IS900, Vision 1624
    HPL360, Epson GS6000, Graphtec Plotter
    Illustrator, Photoshop, Microstation, V-Carve Pro, Corel Draw

Agree with Keith about Corian. You could also try granite. Johnson Plastics sells 4x6 granite blanks that laser well- much better than local home improvement store. Stake for a 4x6 is tough. You might want to mount the plate to a larger backer plate and then attach a stake. We've made stakes from copper pipe and fittings and attached to Corian.

Make your stakes from Corian. I used to make small dedication plaques for people who donated money to plant a tree at CNU. I made Corian square tubing 2 inches square and about 2 feet long for the ground mount. I ripped the Corian, glued the edges together and used a round over bit. I cut the ground mount at an angle and glued the plaque to the angled surface.

These will take a beating from the wind, weather, sun and the grass trimmers. After many years all of them I made still look as good as the day I installed them. All of them were made from project drops so there wasn't any cost involved. The University charged a pretty penny for dedication plaques and it was all free money. Although my job there was to make signs for the new buildings I often got involved designing and fabricating special projects to help increase our income.

CNU Tree Dedication.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-17-2019 at 9:03 AM.

I thought I replied, but must not have clicked the right submit button.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll check into Corian, and the granite idea could work, just have to think how to mount it.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

Amy

Rowmark laminated plastic will work very well. Years ago I used to make anodized aluminum signs for Missouri Botanical Garden. They bought their own laser and now, for several years have been using Rowmark signs. These are all outdoors and there are thousands of them.

They have their stakes cut from 1" x .125" x 4.0' aluminum. Then they have them powder coated.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7