Thread: Simple Kitchen Helper

Blog Entries

Simple Kitchen Helper

Some canned foods do not like to leave their container. For example refried beans tend to build up a suction as they emerge from their resting place. My solution used to be to use a can/bottle opener to punch an air hole in the bottom of the can. Over the past few years can technology has eliminated the ring around the bottom of cans for a can opener to gain a hold.

Yesterday out of frustration a simple tool was made to remedy the situation:

Can Helper.jpg

This was made by drilling a 5/32” hole in a salvaged tool handle and inserting a 16d nail after the head was sawn off. Just for the heck of it the nail was placed in a vise and a couple burrs were raised using a cold chisel and a small hammer. This was to help hold the nail’s shaft into the handle.

First use worked fine extracting refried beans from a can for dinner.

A friend has a large dog and may want one of these to help when he is feeding Charlie canned food.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Overkill for you but I used to use one of these one summer working as a government inspector in a the worlds largest cannery. A good can had 7-10 PSi of vacumn. Anything below 7 PSI and that run would be rejected. never saw one below 7 PSI and I tried to take cans off the lines that looked dented or bad. Did have one can blow up in a stack of shrink wrapped canned ready to be shipped. They ha dto pull the pallet apart and discard the dirty cans.
    Simply slam it into can and the hollow needle pierced the can and a rubber seal held the vacuum in for a few seconds.
    Bill D.

https://www.ametekusg.com/products/p...s-vacuum-gauge

Remember these, from back when CoffeeMate hadn't been invented and evaporated milk was coffee creamer?
    mc.jpg
    mc2.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We keep a similar item in knife drawer. It's called an ICE PICK. For tomato paste, I cut both ends out of can, and use lid as a pusher to remove contents. Last week, while at resturant supply house, saw a specially made scraper to remove tomato sauce from #10 cans