Thread: Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press Question

Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press Question

I just picked one of these up yesterday and noticed there is a problem with the digital depth readout. I am wondering if anybody else has or had this issue. When I set the manual depth stop to 1" and then lower the drill to that point, the digital readout says I only lowered the drill 0.9". That's a large and unacceptable discrepancy. I have gone through the depth calibration several times but it does not fix the issue. I have been talking to Nova tech support but so far they don't know what the problem is. Has anybody else had this happen?

Thanks for the help,

Sandy

Is this discrepancy just an offset or does 1" in real life = .9" for Nova, former one could live with, latter looks like some sort of encoder problem.

Mine works very accurately and I really like the Voyager DVR Drill Press.

Just went out and checked mine and mine is off about .06" at 1". Never even occurred to me before to expect a tape measure stuck on a threaded rod to have digital readout accuracy though. What I do is turn the manual depth adjustment nut right or left until I get the desired readout on the digital screen and start drilling. Cannot say that I had even looked at the tape measure to compare a measurement before.

Did notice a grub screw in the manual stop mechanism. Might try loosening the grub screw and seeing if there is any adjustment up or down in the threaded rod.

May need to calibrate the drill press.

So, it looks like whatever mechanism is measuring the travel is missing the first 1/8" from true zero (no travel at all). So if I go from zero to 1" the digital readout says it moved 0.9". However, if you move from 1" to 2", the difference on the digital readout is about 1". In the end it doesn't really matter as long as I don't start a depth sensitive cut from true zero. If I lower the bit to my workpiece (beyond 1/8") and then re-zero I should get an accurate digital depth readout. However, considering what I just paid for this thing you would think they could have fixed that at the factory. I've sent a video showing the error to their tech support so we'll see what they say. It's been re-calibrated four times so I know that isn't the solution.