Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bolt cutters aren't much good for cutting bolts

Blog Entries

bolt cutters aren't much good for cutting bolts

I have a sort of swiss army knife crimping plier that include a shear for cutting bolts up to 10-24.
    https://www.zoro.com/sk-professional...99/i/G4535562/

For years I used a Radio Shack one and finally broke down and bought one from Klien. The RS one was better. What I like about these things is that I thread my bolt through, it shears it off and then when I back the bolt out, the threads are chased and pretty much ready to go.

But what I would really like is a similar device that I can bench mount or put in a vise that would go up to, say, 3/8".

Why is this not a commonly available product?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I have a sort of swiss army knife crimping plier that include a shear for cutting bolts up to 10-24.
    https://www.zoro.com/sk-professional...99/i/G4535562/

For years I used a Radio Shack one and finally broke down and bought one from Klien. The RS one was better. What I like about these things is that I thread my bolt through, it shears it off and then when I back the bolt out, the threads are chased and pretty much ready to go.

But what I would really like is a similar device that I can bench mount or put in a vise that would go up to, say, 3/8".

Why is this not a commonly available product?

It looks as if this may be a good time for Roger Feeley to patent one.

In the meantime you can do the same on those larger sizes, chase threads plus relieve the first 3-4 threads of the screw so a nut starts every time without any aggravation, even in difficult to reach blind areas. You probably already have the tools to do that while working on your new patent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    They make tools for cutting threaded rod in the sizes you mentioned.

SetRatioSize480300-TRC2D.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    They make tools for cutting threaded rod in the sizes you mentioned.

SetRatioSize480300-TRC2D.jpg
    And they work very well. For 10/24 & under, Ideal or Greenlee make good ones. Klein tools are generally very good, but for some reason their wire strippers & screw cutters just aren't very good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert wiggins View Post
    It looks as if this may be a good time for Roger Feeley to patent one.

In the meantime you can do the same on those larger sizes, chase threads plus relieve the first 3-4 threads of the screw so a nut starts every time without any aggravation, even in difficult to reach blind areas. You probably already have the tools to do that while working on your new patent.
    ha! It’s a running joke in my family that I should patent some idea. If you grow up in a family of problem solvers, coming up with a unique solution is SOP. We just figure stuff out and move on. Patenting something would just be an interruption.

I have a Stanley cutter that does thru 1/4-20. Handles are about 18" long. Two halves of body are made from 1/4" thick hardened steel. We refer to it as "the hardware maker," as we can cut bolts and screws down to any length we need, as long as it's at least a 1/4".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I have a Stanley cutter that does thru 1/4-20. Handles are about 18" long. Two halves of body are made from 1/4" thick hardened steel. We refer to it as "the hardware maker," as we can cut bolts and screws down to any length we need, as long as it's at least a 1/4".
    Bruce, can you give me a model number or something? With the cutter I have, it's my habit to buy just 2" bolts and cut them down to size as needed. Works great with 8-32. I wish I could do that with bigger stuff.

Blog Entries
    Well, this is maddening.

Dewalt makes a cordless threaded rod cutter that's very close to what I would want.
    https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...cutter/dcs350b

But no manual version. The ones posted appear to be for a specific diameter. I would like something with a series of holes for different sized bolts. Just like my crimper but a lot bigger.

I get it. These gizmos are for people hanging electrical or hvac all day who have a lot of all-thread to cut.

Blog Entries
    Here is my idea of proper bolt cutters.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/bolt%2520cutters?NCNI-5
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-12-2019 at 10:16 AM.

If you have metal-working capability you could make one. I have a hand-operated shear with maybe a 4-6" cut, don't remember. It has a long handle and will cleanly shear surprisingly thick steel strip/plate.

I can imagine converting such a shear to a bolt cutter: duplicate the fixed blade in unhardened tool still, drill and tap holes as desired, harden, and grind/lap flat.

I do have some old cutters that do a passable job on smaller machine screws. They are not perfect but a touch with a file either before or after they are removed from the tool makes the threads perfect. I like to bevel the end a bit anyway.

A Dremel with one of those thin abrasive metal-cutting disks works well too, either with or without first threading a nut on the bolt/machine screw. For removing just a bit on the end, I use a bench grinder.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Well, this is maddening.

Dewalt makes a cordless threaded rod cutter that's very close to what I would want.
    https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...cutter/dcs350b

But no manual version. The ones posted appear to be for a specific diameter. I would like something with a series of holes for different sized bolts. Just like my crimper but a lot bigger.

I get it. These gizmos are for people hanging electrical or hvac all day who have a lot of all-thread to cut.

Blog Entries
    The one I posted ships with 3/8" dies; purchase other dies to cut 5/16" or 1/4" threaded rod also .
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-14-2019 at 9:19 PM.

I use a hacksaw and dress the end with a fine grinding wheel. Then I remove the nut I put on it before cutting.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ridgid makes a manual one - - not the Ridgid stuff you find at Home Depot - -the Ridgid stuff you see people in the plumbing trade sue. Same company, but, huge difference in quality....

Expensive though. Probably run around $500 or so.

Me?
    I use a $9.99 angle grinder from Harbor Freight & chase the threads with, again, a Harbor Freight cheapie die.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thread restorer

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

Me?
    I use a $9.99 angle grinder from Harbor Freight & chase the threads with, again, a Harbor Freight cheapie die.
    For general interest: When cleaning up existing threads, I find a thread restorer easier to use than a die or tap. (not good for cutting new threads) A The kits come with thread files for larger or odd sized bolts, I used one recently to clean up a bolt on a shock on my diesel truck.

I use a kit similar to this one: It may cost more than something from Harbor Freight, don't know, I don't shop there.

https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-971-Me.../dp/B003QHQEPE

JKJ

Why not just buy the correct length bolts and skip the cutting step?