I have what is probably an uncommon problem. My basement shop, garage and shed are full of small pieces of lumber. The kind of stuff you would find in a bin of shorts or offcuts at a good lumberyard. And it's a lot of good stuff I don't want to waste either - all kinds of species, grain patterns, a lot of clear pieces, etc. Problem is that if I added it all up, it would be over a thousand board feet of the stuff. Lumber costs money and often I have just the right piece at hand and don't have to cut something bigger, or worse, buy it.

So in a few weeks, barring complications, I am moving everything in my basement shop to my garage workshop, which is an 800-sf space. I need a good solution for storing all of these short pieces of lumber until I can find a use for them. Yes there will be cutting boards and lathe work and all kinds of uses eventually, but hoarding goes on. The cute little roll-around bins that you can build with a sheet of plywood are nice, if you only have a couple hundred feet of the stuff. I'm gonna need a dozen bins. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on specifically how to store all these short lumber pieces?