Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Refrigerator Brands?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I will be following this thread since Sears has gone Bankrupt. They were were I bought all our big appliances. theirs were made by whirlpool/maytag/ammana
    Huh. Almost every "Kenmore" appliance I ever owned was GE under the hood.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

We have a Whirlpool that's 22 years old. There is a local mom and pop appliance place here that's been around a long
    time. They sold the place . New people didn't make and sold it back to original family. Anyway ,they reccomended
    the Whirlpool and it's running fine. They are descendants of Peter Francisco the Revolutionary War "giant". A local
    museum has a vest that belonged to him, 57 inches around the chest. Hey, you guys might as well learn stuff here !!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    We have a Samsung and the icemaker was a problem as well. It would freeze up at the back where the water comes in. I defrosted it several times before calling for repair. The fella explained that particular icemaker had a design flaw. The replacement and its installation procedure incorporated a fix for the flaw. Other than occasional ice bridging, it's work fine since.
    Our Samsung fridge is less than two years old. After six months the icemaker crapped out and was replaced under warranty. The service man said the same thing, design flaw, needs to be sealed up, etc. Last week, guess what? Icemaker is dead again, looks like an iceberg around the mechanism. After I got the "bucket" out I ran a hair dryer in it for 20 minutes or so to melt all the ice and it's working again, for the time being, but I'm not optimistic for the long term. This will be the last Samsung we ever buy and, if I have my way, the last one with an ice maker.

I wish Speed Queen made refrigerators.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 04-14-2019 at 2:17 PM.

When they brought color in to make fridge an accessory item ,they put keeping stuff cold on the back burner !

In just shy of 42 years of marriage we are just on our 4th refrigerator. Only the first was a dud. It was a Philco and it gave problems in the first couple years and finally at about 7 years we got rid of it for a Whirlpool. We had it for 20 years and we moved to a new place that already had the appliances so we left it with the old place for the new owners. The new place had a Kitchenaid which was owned by Maytag. It was 3 years old and we just moved from there into our new home last fall. It's 18 years old and still going. We have an LG side by side with water/ice in the door but no see through door etc. I hope it's as good as the others have been. My son has an LG that's very similar and he's had it 6 years with no issues. This might be the last refrigerator I buy. If not I hope it means I have lived into my 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Huh. Almost every "Kenmore" appliance I ever owned was GE under the hood.
    What era was this? It is pretty well known that for a lot of years Whirlpool made almost all of the Kenmore appliances were made by Whirlpool. Sears and Whirlpool even had an agreement for at least a few years that new features in Whirlpool appliances would be exclusive to Kenmore for a time.

For the past ten years or so Kenmore could be made by pretty much anyone. Whirlpool no longer makes most of the Kenmore appliances and may not even make anything for Kenmore these days.

4 days now and it is still running normally. My son's FIL is an advanced EE. He says has seen capacitors damaged by voltage surges improve over time; but they never actually work normally again. He suspects ghosts.

I have a Generac whole house generator. 3 years ago it failed because voltage leg to leg was 0v (instead of the normal 240v) while each leg was 120v to ground. I turned it off and on, and it was fine. The local shop didn't want to look at it because he didn't know what he would test. Generac said it was impossible and never occurred before. Ghosts?