Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerator Brands?

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Ludwig View Post
    DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG! We have to empty and defrost ours at least twice a year. Back panel freezes up and it stops cooling. I went online and saw HUNDREDS of people with the same issue. New refrigerator that isn’t worth a S#%T. Basically, do your homework before buying. I wish I had!!
    They can do that. The solution appears to be to raise your refrigerator temperature by about 3 degrees Fahrenheit. It can't be allowed to get too close to freezing.

Blog Entries
    When I first met my wife her mom was still using an International.

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG!
    Two stores that sold them, and a repair man, told us not to buy a Samsung because parts are difficult to find. All the refrigerators are junk now a days, but at least you can get parts for the "American" brands. At least this is my take on it.

In the meanwhile, our broken Maytag has completely healed; gradually over a few hours. My wife doesn't care; she wants a new one. We only lost our food because it broke while we were on vacation. Since that won't happen for another year; I'd like to play it out. We'll see.

Here's a resource that helps understand "who makes what" these days...

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Here's a resource that helps understand "who makes what" these days...

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml
    Notably absent is Samsung. Samsung appears to be made by Samsung.

Bought a new house, and previous owner left a really nice high end Samsung refrigerator. So far so good, but I've read we might have issues down the line.

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Bought a new house, and previous owner left a really nice high end Samsung refrigerator. So far so good, but I've read we might have issues down the line.
    If the previous owner thought it was "a really nice high end Samsung refrigerator" why do you suppose they left it behind?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If the previous owner thought it was "a really nice high end Samsung refrigerator" why do you suppose they left it behind?
    His wife probably wanted a new one. It happens. Besides, those things are heavy and awkward to move.

Quite often when selling a home, there is an expectation that major appliances stay with the house.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

LG & Samsung seem to be hard to get parts for and less reliable, the fridges on the property are all Whirlpool or rebranded Whirlpool, (Kirkland Signature) all have done well, since Hiaer bought GE Appliances, won't touch them, not heard any good about Frigidaire either, but had a 1965 Frigidaire Flair electric range that was great only reason gave it to the Habitat ReStore & it sold that day was got a smooth top Range, The sad thing is that nothing is going to last like appliances have in the past, 5 years seems to be the new normal, adding to the waste stream.

We had a Maytag 'go bad', only backwards; couldn't keep the fridge from freezing everything. A good thaw fixed it. That was about 10 years ago, then last year it just started getting warmer and warmer. Everything about the workings was in order, everything was clean, all fans working. I'm assuming it lost it's refrigerant...

Speaking of fans, had a Kenmore lose the compressor at about 6 years old, problem was the coil fan, dust just got worked into the fan motor and it kept slowing down until it just quit spinning and the compressor overheated.

Right now we have a big LG sbs, about 6 years old now, no problems.

There's a shop a few miles from me that buys and sells used appliances, he has an old Frigidare with the compressor and coils on TOP, it's where he keeps the free soda pop for customers
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

What caused the seals to rot in only 9 years?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    We had an LG with an ice maker. Not the kind where you get the ice in the glass in the door, but the kind that just dumps ice in a bucket in the freezer and then you get it yourself. Worked well for about five years, and then we sold the house. Would buy it again.
    Yup. Seems like most of time when people say "the icemaker broke", what they really mean is "the ice dispenser broke". My GE makes ice fine, whether it will deliver it to the port in the door is about 50/50. Unless I want crushed ice (which oddly enough seems to work better than whole-cube), I'll usually just open the door and grab a fistful out of the bin.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    We have had a Samsung for over 4 years now. The ice maker developed a problem during the 1st year.
    We have a Samsung and the icemaker was a problem as well. It would freeze up at the back where the water comes in. I defrosted it several times before calling for repair. The fella explained that particular icemaker had a design flaw. The replacement and its installation procedure incorporated a fix for the flaw. Other than occasional ice bridging, it's work fine since.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I will be following this thread since Sears has gone Bankrupt. They were were I bought all our big appliances. theirs were made by whirlpool/maytag/ammana