Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw

If you want and can afford a SawStop then buy one. But don't get bullied into it because someone recommended it on here.

It isn't necessary to have a SawStop in order to build good stuff. Those black and green tools aren't needed either. Nor are any of the other fancy tools that the Youtube bloggers got for free and now think you need to have to be a real woodworker.

I would love to have those tools but with my financial situation it just ain't going to happen. Instead I just keep trudging forward. And you can too. Get the best new or used that you can afford.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

We would like one to do both, not to be limited.

General use, we are looking for new. Budget will depend on the saw. We need and want one with precise measuring and cutting.

We are not wanting a portable saw.

Our budget needs to be reasonable, we can’t afford too much, somewhere between 2000-4000.

What are we going to do with it? Loaded question. We are living in a metal building we are trying to finish out, we are wanting to build cabinets, furniture, custom wood working.

We are a small business, been in business since 2006, since we retired. We run a 36X20 laser, we have a 4X8 CNC, we have also recently started producing photography onto canvas and need to make frames for stretching. There are some things you need a table saw for, we have a 20 year old craftsman and it needs replaced.

We can do 220, yes we have a dust collection system. No, we do not want mobile.

The laser group here have always been such a great bunch of people and have always had the knowledge and is always more than glad to help us, I thought I try in a different group.

Sorry guys for not giving enough information. My husband, James, doesn’t do computer too much, just the wood working and I do the research.

Thank you and God Bless,
    Zelma

Blog Entries
    Mark's Martin saw is the choice I'd make if it fits your space and budget. I have a short stroke slider and it has been quickly transformative to be able to make panels sized exactly.

I use a milling machine for some of my work (knee mill) and was able to make through mortises in the middle of a large panel that had been sized on the saw using both sides to reference with next to nothing in error. The cuts came through from both sides of the panel to meet exactly. A ridge of less than .002" can be felt in wood and it was not present.

That's something that a short stroke slider can help with.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Fred, yes, this a part of it but not all of it. We need one that can do the stretcher frames as well as cabinets, and furniture

I want to first apoligize for not giving enough information and not seeing all the post that were put on here and not replying soon enough. Thank you Matt for sending me a private message and asking me if I was going to reply.

Now, THANK YOU, to all that have given us true advise. We will research each one and the look at what we are getting for our money, then make a decision. You have given us name of table saws that I have never heard of, and that is why I ask and what I wanted to know. I may have more questions, hope you don’t mind.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it!
    Zelma

You may want to consider a short stroke Euro slider because of the precision and repeatability that's built in which will be very helpful to you for things like making frames, etc. You'll have all the normal advantages of a North American "Cabinet Saw", too. It will push your budget a little, perhaps, but given you know the value of good tools given the laser and CNC work you already do, it's worth consideration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You may want to consider a short stroke Euro slider because of the precision and repeatability that's built in which will be very helpful to you for things like making frames, etc. You'll have all the normal advantages of a North American "Cabinet Saw", too. It will push your budget a little, perhaps, but given you know the value of good tools given the laser and CNC work you already do, it's worth consideration.
    Agreed, a short stroke slider is often the ideal machine from a footprint/capacity/capability analysis.........Rod.

Thank you Jim, we will look into that also.

Zelma
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

Examples of a short stroke Euro slider would include a Minimax SC 2c, Hammer K3 or Laguna P12.

How much do those saws cost?

A high end cabinet saw from the past that has been treated well is the ticket. Delta, Powermatic, General in the 10" build. Had one for years, it more than paid for itself and with the tooling I owned was a dream to use.

Here is an example of a short stroke slider like Mark's ZTE. Very nice machine.DSCN3564.jpgDSCN3544.jpg Dave