Thread: Tool identify

Tool identify

Can anyone identify to manufactor of this tool. It has no trade markets on it. Bar is beveled on both sides for shear cuts inside and outside the bowl. Borrow it from a friend and would like to have one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks somewhat like the Hunter straight taper tool. It could also be hand made.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Can anyone identify to manufactor of this tool. It has no trade markets on it. Bar is beveled on both sides for shear cuts inside and outside the bowl. Borrow it from a friend and would like to have one.
    From the photo and your description it looks like the Eliminator tool I have. I've never used it - I'm happy with the Hunter tools.

You can have it if you come visit - do you ever get up to East TN? I'd offer to mail it to you but I'm so far behind I'm afraid that by the time I got to it in the queue you might be too old to use it. I need to hire a secretary.

JKJ

Thanks John, headed to Arrowmont in July might just come by.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    From the photo and your description it looks like the Eliminator tool I have. I've never used it - I'm happy with the Hunter tools.

You can have it if you come visit - do you ever get up to East TN? I'd offer to mail it to you but I'm so far behind I'm afraid that by the time I got to it in the queue you might be too old to use it. I need to hire a secretary.

JKJ
    John, are you in the market for a son-in-law?

Your vast amount of knowledge and extra this-and-thats is incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Thanks John, headed to Arrowmont in July might just come by.
    Great! Send me a PM when you have the travel details. I should be here most of July.

I'm just a few miles north of Knoxville, if driving on I-40, we are very close to one of the exits on I-75 north of Knoxville.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    John, are you in the market for a son-in-law?
    Unfortunately, no daughters here and no granddaughters. All boys. I've threatened to adopt a few though.

I could use a couple of adoptees as unpaid farm hands just - today I cooked another batch of sugar syrup to feed the bees, handled day two of a 5-day llama deworming regimen, assisted the vet with the male horses for sheath cleaning (requires sedating, extreme caution, and quick reflexes), set up the chute and equipment for shearing the llamas/alpacas tomorrow, hauled hay and fertilizer, spread fertilizer in the horse pasture, fed the 38 baby chicks and all the other animals, and mowed a couple of acres. Any volunteers? I can pay in woodturning blanks.

The Good Lord was wise not to give us daughters. They'd get to be 16 or so, some guy would come to the door, I'd seriously hurt him, I'd be thrown in jail... who would pay for college??

JKJ

That does look like the Eliminator tool. Mike Hunter does have replacement cutters for it.

robo hippy

The eliminator I remember had a 3 sided shank. That looks like someone copied Mike Hunters Phoenix but put a larger cutter on the end and the taper isn't as long. Either way it's a good usable tool. You would use it just like I do in the video I made on his #4 tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfp2kvhH6Mo

My Eliminator had 2 flat sides, for cutting at a 45 degree angle going either right or left, and the rest of the shaft was round.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    My Eliminator had 2 flat sides, for cutting at a 45 degree angle going either right or left, and the rest of the shaft was round.
    The one I have is the same. It's a well-made tool.

I liked the idea of the flat guides but I prefer using the Hunter with the straight, tapered 5/8" shaft since I can rotate it slightly to fine tune the cut as needed. The disadvantage of not being able to see the angle of the cutter is solved with a mark the shaft or the handle.

JKJ