Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First image ever of black hole!

Can a black hole be filled in ? Or would it remain a junk magnet regardless of how much it's already consumed?
    P.S. I have tried to write in layman' terms for those who's TV watching is less scientifically inclined .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Can a black hole be filled in ? Or would it remain a junk magnet regardless of how much it's already consumed?
    P.S. I have tried to write in layman' terms for those who's TV watching is less scientifically inclined .
    Yikes, how are those who don't watch TV at all going to understand??

I think that black holes are supposed to expand as they take in mass, increasing the Schwarzschild radius. I don't know for sure since I never got close enough to see one grow.

Have to study on whether there is a theoretical maximum size and mass but I suspect not.

JKJ

Yes, they will take all the stuff you are willing to throw in to them. Flashlights, tape measures, pencils, even socks. Definitely box cutters. Probably wrenches too, or at least that's what I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Yes, they will take all the stuff you are willing to throw in to them. Flashlights, tape measures, pencils, even socks. Definitely box cutters. Probably wrenches too, or at least that's what I suspect.
    Just like blowing more air into a balloon that will never pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Back in the early '80's a friend gave me a book from the local planetarium titled 'Black Holes and wardped space time". Some above have mentioned 'event horizon' isn't very descriptive. This book explained the event horizon as simply the points in space in which the gravity from a black hole begins tugging at any nearby mass;
    Not quite. The event horizon (EH) is the spherical "shell" of points at which the escape velocity of the black hole is equal to the speed of light. Once an object sails beyond that 'horizon', it's 'event' can no longer be observed. But a black hole can begin tugging on another object far outside of its EH.

Imagine if the Sun suddenly turned into a black hole. Not that it could...it doesn't have enough mass. But if it could and did, we'd sure notice the lack of sunlight but Earth's orbit would remain unchanged. The new black hole would have the same mass as the old Sun and it would tug on Earth with the same strength at that distance. Even Mercury wouldn't notice a change in orbit being that far away from an event horizon that's only 6 kilometers (~3¾ miles) in diameter. But things do get very hairy when you stray very close to an EH. Google "spaghettification" sometime, if you're of a mind to.

No, the analogy of it being a hole breaks down completely in that regard. Adding stuff to it just makes it a bigger 'hole.' The increase is usually very small...infinitesimal, even...compared to the total mass. Unless you happen to throw something big at it. Like another black hole. In related news, you may have heard about the first detection of gravitational waves a few years ago. Those waves were the result of two black holes merging into a bigger one.

On the other hand, a black hole can evaporate. It just takes a really, really long time.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Thanks Brett. I will look up the spaghetfication tonight.

A donut without a hole is a bagle And how do you see something that isn't there

Blog Entries
    No- I have been trying my whole life to fill one in with tape measures, 10mm sockets, and various other small tools to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    A donut without a hole is a bagle And how do you see something that isn't there
    Sorry, bagels have holes, just like donuts.

Mariners will recognize their sailboats as black holes for money.