Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CO2 Laser Power Meters

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    But if Iradion says it is a 60 watt tube it is a 60 watt and should be sold as a 60 watt even if it puts out more
    Iridion hasn't said it's a 60W. It's a rating they use internally to classify their models. You might be able to use a 60W tube with a power supply that produces 80W. That was the entire point of my posts. A 60w decal from Iridion doesn't mean it's a 60W laser from Trotec, it means it's their 60W class, which can be used in 80W capacities.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

For what it's worth, our 80W is a 156F tube as well. It cuts beautifully and compared to the power settings used on our 75W Speedy 300 with the Synrad tube, it's right there with it, so it's certainly doing what it's supposed to be doing. As I have said before, the cut quality on the ceramic core tube is superior to the Synrad on acrylic.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Sort of like buying a car with 165 hp and selling it as a 200 hp if you use methanol

Sort of like buying a car with 165 hp and selling it as a 200 hp if you use methanol
    How's that? If you buy a 165 hp car and it's dyno'd at 165 hp, then what's the issue? He bought an 80W, it's measuring 80W, it's cutting and engraving as an 80W should, so there's nothing incorrect. It's more like someone buying an Old's 442 and being upset that it doesn't have a 442 in it. The 442 wasn't the size of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bert
    I am not in agreement with your comment,

It has been fairly common for CO2 tubes to test out a bit high when new. That is not due to "sketchy" anything. Early on in my engraving life both Synrad and Coherent explained that tubes are not manufactured so precisely that a 40w is always a 40w. It could be 44w or 50w. If it tested less than 40w it might be sold as a 35w or a 30w.

Since the Trotec Iradian tube is ceramic I have not bothered to investigate whether the variations exist there as well.
    Bert, I think what Mike is trying to say is that RF tubes typically change power a bit when new and "settle in" to their specified power rating. My first ULS was a dual 60 watt machine and when the technician set it up for me he tested the tubes and one tested at 72 watts and the second at 80 watts! They eventually settled in to about 62 and 70. My second machine was similar. I don't know why they do this exactly but if Dave Sheldrake is still around he could probably answer it. I think what the OP is concerned about is that if the tube is starting at 80 is it going to settle down to anything less? A concern I would have also, knowing how RF tubes do settle.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

If it measures 80.5 the day he bought it and 2 days later it only measures 79.5 is that ethical

If it measures 80.5 the day he bought it and 2 days later it only measures 79.5 is that ethical
    That’s not been stated as his situation. He said it was measured 3 times by the rep and the average was 80.5. As to what’s acceptable tolerance, you’d have to ask the manufacturer.

1/4” thick acrylic has a tolerance of +/- 10%. So it can measure between .225/.275”. If you get a sheet that measures .225” do you refuse it for not being 1/4”? Ask Trotec (or any manufacturer) what their tolerance is.

If his laser tested at 85W should he have to pay for the extra 5W?

I’ve cut or engraved over 3 million parts now over 12 years. We’ve owned Trotec, Universal, Epilog, and Chinese lasers. Never have I ever been so concerned about such a non issue. If it’s a concern, have the conversation with Trotec in Michigan and get the answer directly from them. Then it’s settled.

Jerome

I have used power meters. I would be surprised if you could get two identical consecutive readings.

Like Steve, this is a non-issue and I'm on my second Trotec and previously used Epilog and owned Universal.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

FYI
    I just asked Iradion about the 156f. They said the Trotec 80w 156f can and does do over 80w and no issues with it running 100%. So you can sleep well tonight and just jump in and start using your Speedy 300 tomorrow.

10. You should consider what I have found out myself about Synrad vs Iradion in Trotec machines.

When Trotec changed to Iradion tubes, they also added a beam expander and collimator device to the Iradion setup.
    The collimation ensures the beam is kept parallel and the same diameter across the entire bed, as lasers have "divergance" which means their beam expands over distance.
    The beam expansion allows the lens to create a much smaller spot size for better cutting. There are calculators online for this.

A beam expander/collimator added to any RF CO2 laser tube will make a great improvement. i.e. if Trotec had added one to the Synrad tube machines, it would have cut better and more consistent across the entire bed.

Hi, all
    i bought co2 laser power meter on aliexpress for about 200 usd and im able measure on tube output, and 2nd and 3rd mirror output .... Advantage is that i can measure power loss on mirrors .....
    GCC Spirit LS 20w,60W, 100w
    WEIKE LC 1612 90/130W RECI
    Morntech Fiber 30w raycus
    Haotian Laser Fiber MOPA 80w
    CO2 Galvo 35w
    Corel X6