Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photos to Computer??

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I just remembered I have a professional quality Nikon film scanner made for 35mm slides and film, Nikon "Super Coolscan 4000 ED":

But depending on how many you have to do it would be simpler to pay someone else to do the scans.
    I have a similar Minolta scanner of about the same vintage...as I recall, what with loading/unloading/renaming etc, it worked out to about 90 seconds per slide/neg at the high-quality settings. Since I was doing several thousand total, the best bet for maintaining my sanity was to set up a TV in the same room and limit each session to the length of a football/basketball game or NASCAR race, maybe 100-150 in a batch.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

...I have a professional quality Nikon film scanner made for 35mm slides and film, Nikon "Super Coolscan 4000 ED":
    https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sca...4000/index.htm...
    These dedicated film scanners do a most excellent job. As Lee says, they're time intensive. But the results can be worth the effort. You really need the software that was bundled with it, especially for reducing dust and scratches.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I used a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED to scan a couple thousand 35 mm slides. I had the auto feeder which made things faster.

The problem was that the Nikon software would not work with newer computers but Vuescan worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I just looked at a few services and they are anywhere fro 27 cents to 44 cents PER SCAN! Since I have about 100,000 negatives I've never even looked at - from my days of free lancing for the papers and mags - so that's only 27 grand. Guess I'll stick to the light table, loupe, and a scanner when I get started on that project. Or maybe I'll just leave them to my kids. Working in the shop is more fun.
    We have an Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scanner that came with a photo/film scanner lid. It scans the photos/film and writes the files. It feeds them automatically.
    https://www.epson.eu/products/scanne...ion-2480-photo
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Not sure how posts jump around so much on this site but I just read some that are interesting and I will look ionto. Thanks all for the suggestions. I need to get all the photos out that i want done and I will see if i have negatives too.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Not sure how posts jump around so much on this site but ...
    You might try different display settings. (Click on the "Display" pulldown in the menu near the top right of the message display)
    I use "Hybrid" but some like "Linear" or "Threaded" mode.

This is in the normal browser style, I don't know what happens with the Mobile style.

JKJ

One further comment. The Minolta Dualscan3 (and its various relations) I have is an excellent scanner, and used ones are available on Ebay in the $100-$150 range (last I checked).

But, and it's a big 'but', the film/slide magazines for it are fragile and apparently made out of unobtanium. Quite a few of the Ebay sales I've seen are "scanner only", so buyer beware. I have no idea if this also applies to the Nikon scanners, but you really need to make sure you have everything required to use the beast...otherwise it's just a paperweight.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    One further comment. The Minolta Dualscan3 (and its various relations) I have is an excellent scanner, and used ones are available on Ebay in the $100-$150 range (last I checked).
    But, and it's a big 'but', the film/slide magazines for it are fragile and apparently made out of unobtanium. Quite a few of the Ebay sales I've seen are "scanner only", so buyer beware. I have no idea if this also applies to the Nikon scanners, but you really need to make sure you have everything required to use the beast...otherwise it's just a paperweight.
    The Nikon film holder is extremely well made, maybe even from undestructablium. There are two in the box: one for mounted slides and one for film strips. The film strip holder connects to the scanner with a cable, if I remember it has a motor to automatically advance the strip. The resolution of the scanner might be important for something small as a 35mm or slide. I looked at some that were around 2000 dpi, no problem at all for snapshots or pictures for posting. The Nikon is 4000 dpi.

JKJ

I just looked last night and whoever mentioned my scanner can scan to a flashdrive is right. I will play around with that and see what it looks like before I move onto the next suggestions. Thanks again. I did not even know this.
    John T.

You might try different display settings. (Click on the "Display" pulldown in the menu near the top right of the message display)
    I use "Hybrid" but some like "Linear" or "Threaded" mode.

This is in the normal browser style, I don't know what happens with the Mobile style.

JKJ
    Thanks that works better. I switched to linear and now all posts are right after one another and I can follow better. Learn something new every day.
    John T.