Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos to Computer??

Photos to Computer??

OK I am looking to transfer 35mm photos that were developed from roll film many years ago to my computer. I have a printer with scanner but it is not compatible with my Windows XP 64 system so that option is out. Is there a device that I could get to do this?? Maybe transfer to a flashdrive?? Thoughts and if you have used a device do you have a good one that works well?? A link would be nice.
    John T.

John, short of getting a compatible scanner, if you still have the negatives, you could take them to the professionals (any photo processor) for good quality results. Otherwise, you could take the prints to, say, Kinkos.

You might look at a program called VueScan. It may work with your computer and scanner. I have used it with a variety of scanners and Windows.

Unless you have only a few pictures, using one of the services that do this is far more time efficient, and f you don't have a good high resolution scanner already, more cost efficient as well. I had DigMyPics do all my 35 mm slides a few years ago after fooling with the DIY route for quite a while. Their work was great (better than mine) and much faster. An advantage of that particular company is that they don't send your pictures to a far off country.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    You might look at a program called VueScan. It may work with your computer and scanner. I have used it with a variety of scanners and Windows.
    Yep. Vuescan..
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

John,

Seems like if you can use the printer with your computer, you ought to be able to use the scanner, too. I wonder if there's just some software, or maybe a driver, that you need from the printer/scanner manufacturer - maybe a little googling is in order?

I'm with the others who recommend going to a commercial service, but could you post the make and model of your printer/scanner?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    First, I've got to say that you should not be using a Windows XP system anymore if you ever connect to the internet or any network. I have found that Windows 10 will run lots of old legacy hardware that previous OS's wouldn't. What scanner do you have?

My printer scanner is a HP Office Jet pro 6978. I had to have a tech install some old drivers from an earlier model to fool it into operating with my computer. He told me and I tried to use the features of the unit with my computer but they do not work. So all I use it for is to print photos or papers from the computer. Or I use the Fax part to send fax. I can scan papers and photos to make copies but I do not want that. I want them on either a flash drive or direct to computer.

What I am trying to do is mostly when I started my scrollsawing business some 35 years ago I made albums of projects that I made and what I use to do is use the albums as means of advertising and having people select projects for sales. But we have all gone digital and things are nothing like they use to be. It is not practical to have these albums any more so would like to transfer the photos to digital. There are 100's of photos so it is not a small job but would like good quality. Back then I always took photos with my Minolta 35 mm camera. There were no SD cards and things like that. I could now use a IPad or some other device to store the photos is what I am thinking.

I know XP is not supported any more but my computer is not worth changinging systems on it. I would much rather buy a whole new computer and start fresh but that is not in the budget at this time. So I am trying to keep things together with tape and glue and find a cheap way of doing this transfer.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    If you go to the site below you can change the version of windows and get the correct printer drivers for XP. The site detected the windows version I had automatically, but you can change it to windows XP if it doesn't automatically detect your system. There appear to be drivers for Windows XP 64 and 32 bit

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...model/11161264

Capture.PNG
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-10-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I just looked at a few services and they are anywhere fro 27 cents to 44 cents PER SCAN! Since I have about 100,000 negatives I've never even looked at - from my days of free lancing for the papers and mags - so that's only 27 grand. Guess I'll stick to the light table, loupe, and a scanner when I get started on that project. Or maybe I'll just leave them to my kids. Working in the shop is more fun.

One of the best film and slide scanners I've used is the Nikon Coolscan 9000. These pop up from time to time on photography websites, and a couple have made the rounds from user to user to bulk scan slides. If the SMC rules didn't forbid it, I would post links to two Nikon Coolscan scanner currently listed for sale at Fred Miranda.

Blog Entries
    And what is with the ban on posting those links? This is about the only forum I know of that does that & it just makes things difficult for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    And what is with the ban on posting those links? This is about the only forum I know of that does that & it just makes things difficult for everyone.
    You can post links to sites that are germain to the topic as long as they are not an auction site, another woodworking site or one where you have financial interests.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can post links to sites that are germain to the topic as long as they are not an auction site, another woodworking site or one where you have financial interests.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that the policy was far more Draconian.